Question

Here is an issue that this year has surely affected nearly everybody:
    When it rains (or drizzels) and you absolutely should go open those hives for inspection, treatment or what have you, what do you do?
    1) Use a huge umbrella? Cumbersome
    2) Let the bees get wet? Sounds like a no-no to me.
    3) ???

Jorge

Does it rain cats and dogs there for days at a time? Surely it lets up now and then? I have opened hives when it's raining when raising queens because I have no choice about the timing, but I only opened them when it was drizzling, not pouring. And I smoked them a bit and had a smoker handy and I sprayed some sugar syrup. Sometimes they tolerate it pretty well and sometimes they get very defensive.

Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)

Looks like just the thing. If it's raining here, we just wait a few minutes.

We do have umbrellas here. I don't think they have them in New Mexico, Coyote, but you've probably seen them in movies or at least seen a "parasol" in a movie. They are kind of like that. We use them when water falls out of the sky. We call that "rain". Maybe, if you're lucky, you'll see some in your lifetime.

Wink

When Coyote experiences rain for the first time Michael,he will prolly pass out with the shock of it all......and someone will have to throw a bucket of dust over him to bring him around.

jim

>>Here is an issue that this year has surely affected nearly everybody:
    When it rains (or drizzels) and you absolutely should go open those hives for inspection, treatment or what have you, what do you do?

I would leave the work for another day. Working with the bees during wet weather can be very displeasing. As Micheal said, unless the work has to do with raising queens, where timingin is everything, leave your work for a sunny day and make your hive visit more enjoyable.
    There is never a time when you "absolutely should go open those hives", even during the busy times, wait for better weather...

Ian

Big Grin

Boulders in trees now water falling from the sky ,what is next?

Don't act like it doesn't rain in Texas. It does it at least once every two or three years. And then they don't measuere it in inces, they measure it in feet.

Angry

I RAISE QUEENS & SOME OF THE TASKS ARE TIME (VS. WEATHER) DEPENDENT. JUST BE PREPARED FOR SOME NON-TYPICAL AGRESSION.

The bees will be grouchy today, especially since they've never seen any. Are you sure it's rain? Not dust? Anyway, they will be happy for the blooms tommorow.

Wink

What do you mean, "It doesn't ran in the Southwest"
    Last winter we went from Texas to visit my brother in Tucson AZ. It was raining when we left Texas and it rained the next 4 days.
    This was very late Feb.

------------------
    Erwin

Big Grin

Just work them at night,Make sure you use a stong,bright Flashlight.>>>>MARK
    P.S.Get your better half to hold the light for you.

Make sure you have a good divorce lawyer lined up.

That was an inch?! Wow! I've seen 12 inches fall in less than an hour and it wasn't that bad! I've seen 6 inches fall in a half an hour several times. Of course when that happens SOMEWHERE looks like that, but only in the lowlands and only on one or two creeks.

Lowlanders! HMPHH!

That's what I said to people at 5300 feet when I lived in Laramie at 7200 feet. I don't think there's anywhere in VA that high.