henry Guest

Question

I have a split hive which raised their own queen and a lot of the bees seem to bee solid or almost solid black. At first I thought it might bee robbers but some were coming and going and some acted to be guard bees. I split them in June and they seem very strong, one deep and one medium full of bees.Is this natural?
    Henry

Your queen has bread with more than one type of bee. I do a lot of swarm pick-ups and colony removals leading to my yard having many different types of bees in it and many different drones in my area. It is very common for me to see different appearing bees in one hive.

henry Guest

That is what I thought might have happened but I didn't think there were any wild bees in the area. When I was growing up they were in about every tree that had a hole in it.
    One hive that was close by WAS a black bee.

I see the same thing. My neighbor raises buckfast and starlines and I happen to like the NWC's so I see all kinds in my hives. Some orage and black some real dark. Doesn't matter to me. They put up over 60lbs each this each and I started them on foundation from packages in the spring. Not a bad first year for them.

henry Guest

This particular split was from a package started in the spring. They started showing signs of swarming early and I tried everything.The parent hive still swarmed though a couple of weeks later after I made the split.Both are strong now.