Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

I saw a bee having a tough time getting back in the hive and helped her out with a stick. I dropped her at the hive entrance. She was probably injured or something but I just felt bad watching her struggle to fly. The amazing thing was she got into the group hanging out in the front entrance, and immediatly stuck her butt in the air and started fanning. I guess she still had a little left in her.

------------------
    "To bee or not to bee, that is the question"

[This message has been edited by newbee 101 (edited June 26, 2004).]

Wink

no...!

Also .. No.

No, not at all. I have a soft spot for my little girls. I even save thme from the pond, wipe them off and warm them in my hand. Most of the time they like it once in a while I get a suprise. OUCH!
    Dan

i saved one from my dog trying to eat it. i think i was too late though

------------------
    "The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage."

- Author Unknown -

Me too saved them many time, I also enjoy feeding them by hand by putting a drop of syrup on my finger and from the side of the hive move it slowly into the entrance until a bee jump on it them I move a little bet far way from the hive and watch her drinking and licking it.

You should see my wife when she is putting the queen excluder on the hive if there is a single bee on the rim of the super she stop and blow it away, This is why I usually finish four hive while she is still working in her first.

Last fall she went out of the house yelling at black bear, because he is killing the bees, sure I will do the same but I will be thinking about the honey.

Another black bear came a month ago, in the morning we found 4 destroyed hives, put them together and before I go to work I pledge to her if he come back please don’t go out, may be just on the deck with the pepper spry with you, she called me at noon telling me the bear is back I asked her to start “shooting” a video and I am on my way, the video is about 25 min all screaming and crying “oh no not hive number 28 they are a very good bees”, The inspectors wanted a copy of the video for the Ontario Apiculture also many beekeepers clubs wanted a copy I had to take the sound off the video before I give it to them, It was an interested video though, it was the first time anyone sees a bear while he work a yard

Regards,

Big Grin

Hi Forestbee,,

I wish I could see that!

I'd want to hear it though.

Hi Daisy,

I already converted to a digital format, but I didn¡¦t have the time to have it on a web page, but since the swarming season is about to end here so may be I will give it a try, I already started uploading the file to the server this should talk about 12 hours (700MG file with a dial-up connection ƒ¼ )

until then, if you go to our web page at http://www.forestdewhoney.com click on "Photo Gallery" the last two photo I captured them from that video.

Regards

[This message has been edited by forestbee (edited June 26, 2004).]

Wink

I think I would started "shooting" too. But not film anyways. I generally don't help my bees out. Just not much of softy I guess.

Lightbulb

I agree with chemistbert, SHOOTING might be a good answer. Have you tried to put up an electric fence? You will need 3 strings starting at 18 inches, 36 inches and 48 inches. That will cover most of the areas where a bear might squeeze in, but then again a nice cold winter night, fire place burning and a bear rug, can't go wrong.
    Dan

I'll admit to helping them out too. I like when you find them in the snow, bring them in the house, wake them up and run back out to the hive and pop them in.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

My husband will find a poor bee without any energy after a storm and give her some sugar or honey. She'll then fly happily away.

Last month after stopping to get a John Deere part for the tractor a bee got caught under my window wiper. Yes, I pulled over and let her go. We sure do have tender spots in our hearts for them.

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    I'll admit to helping them out too. I like when you find them in the snow, bring them in the house, wake them up and run back out to the hive and pop them in.
    My bees are too far away to,..'bring them in the house' but I have [with nobody watching] put them under my parka to warm them up. Glad to see their are other 'crazies' [ I mean, sensitive people, lol.] on Beesource.

I'll bet you won't find comments like this on that,...New,.. commercial beekeepers/pollinators forum, lol.
    Last edited by Oldbee; 07-18-2008 at 07:06 AM.

Default "Cuties"

>but I have [with nobody watching] put them under my parka to warm them up.

Yes Oldbee, you are so sweet ----I don't mow when the little "cuties" are working clover or dandelion. Sometimes I will find some of them floating in my small pond -- either they fell from the little ships I made for them or they just didn't see them and took a nosedive. I will extend a thin twig to them, pull them out and put them on a rock in the sun so they can dry off and warm up. I plant lavender and clover for the little "cuties". I also keep their bee yard mowed and paint their boxes bright colors--Popsicle orange, nachez blue, lemon yellow, limerick green, and a few white.

Corinne
    Last edited by golddust-twins; 07-17-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Oh! thanks,.you are sweet too,.. golddust-twins.

Do you all realize that this thread was started in 2004!? That's before I set up my first beehive!!
    Last edited by Oldbee; 07-18-2008 at 07:03 AM.

looks like he went thru what looks like an electric fence. That not good enough to keep bears out?

I finaly got my computer to go the the site. I think your right does look like a fence. MMMMM, was the power off, or is the fence not charged enough?
    Dan

My husband laughs at me because I'll stop in my tracks mowing the lawn until the bees finish with the clover and move on. I just can't run over them!

I just go around the clover. Now on my septic bed I have milk weed growing and boy do the bees work that. Also the milk weed has a great smell to it.
    Dan
    PS When I moved from the city into the country I got rid of all my grass. I'm in the trees with just a garden, and a 10 x 20 foot lawn. The septic area has all milk weed. It takes me 20 min at most to mow. Hate grass. This gives me more time to play with my bees.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

You will need to break him of the habit or he will just keeping hitting your hives.
    A bear's coat is very thick and works as a good insulator. You need to get the bear's tender points. The end of his noise or mouth.
    Bait the fence so that he will stop and get the message.
    Take a piece of wire and wrap it around the hot wire at about 18" off the ground. Make the end of the wire into a hook and place beacon, hot dogs, etc on the hook.
    Place these around the fence at 8 - 10 foot intervals.
    Also, during the dry summer months, always keep the ground spike / ground around it moist.