Thread: Clean super's

I've just pulled shallow supers & the queen has laid in some of them.
    what is the best way to deal with the brood in them?
    I was wanting the drawn comb for the next honey flow.(If there ever is such a thing).>>>>MARK

Everybody teels me that the queen won't cross capped honey in the top brood chamber, but that ain't always true. My queen put some brood in my shallow. I guess the only way to keep her out is put an excluder on. My bees were slow to draw the comb above the excluder. I tried putting the new medium above the old shallow and below it and as long as I had the excluder on, they didn't do much. I removed the excluder and let them draw the comb. Next time I check, I expect that the medium will be fully drawn and I can replace the excluder to let the brood hatch.

Mark, I would probably just put it back on a colony so they could either hatch the brood out if it's still alive or clean it out if it has died. You might try putting it over some kind of inner cover or board with a hole in it to discourage storage in the comb. Down here in Mobile I don't have to worry about much new nectar being stored this time of year. If they do store in the comb, you can always set it out under a tree after the brood is cleared out for the bees to clean.

------------------
    Rob Koss

I'm like you beegee I don't like to use excluder's.
    But some of my supers that I've done removed has brood & pollen stored in them.
    what is the best way to remove it so next season I can use it for honey supers?>>>>MARK

Thank's ikeepbees: you posted your replie at about the same time that I responed to beegee.Thank's again>>>>mark

I figure if they are expanding the brood nest it's either because the queen found some drone sized cells up there or there wasn't enough room in the current brood nest. Mabye you need another brood box. The queen goes all over the hive and if she sees somplace she wants to lay she will, but mostly she likes to keep the brood nest compact.

It may just be the queen,I've checked both brood box's & they are room in both of them.
    She has laid in the center all the way up into 2 super's.
    None of them is honey bound are anything like that.there is plenty of room on the side's >>>>MARK

Hi Mark,

You already know what I'm going to say :> )Apparently she wanted the room. I don't use ULBN for nothing. But try reversing and putting her down on such queens. As for brood in the supers. I take it you have them removed already. Use a capping fork and take the tines and slide under brood cappings and pull the brood out if you are concerned. Or let the bees remove the brood. Or are you trying to save this brood?

Clay

Thank's Clay: I'm not trying to save the brood ,
    Was just wanting the comb for next years honey crop.I also left them 2 supers on when I robbed until I could decide what to do with it.>>>>MARK

Hi Mark,
    I wouldn't put a super on a hive unless it had an excluder. I believe if the hive is really strong and full of bees and ready to make surplus honey , the bees will cross into the excluder supers. Me or my friends haven't had any problems and it avoids problems like the one you have. Mark tell Mr Mcary I just love his cordovans their real honey making machines and very gentle too.. Im really enjoying them.
    Walt

Question

The last honey super I took off was directly above a full size plastic queen excluder and the frames held foundation when I put it on. This shallow super was full of honey but one frame had about a dozen sealed drones on each side. Is this normal or is this an indication that I have a problem ? The rest of the brood in this hive is normal and I have all stages but I was unable to find the queen. These eggs must have been laid by a worker.
    This super is now on top of the inner cover for cleaning and I wonder if the drone brood will be removed and if not should I try to clean it out before winter storage ?

I would remove the drone brood or some worker bees will move into that super to care for the brood. Bees will not abandon brood.

It is possible that a worker layed these. But if there is a strong laying queen this is doubtful. It is also possible that the queen got through the excluder and layed them and then returned. A small queen can get through an excluder.