Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Well I just had to know if I still have bees living in the hives. Two had a varmint snoopin around a couple nights.

I visited all four hives tonight, and with my ear next to it, tapped once lightly on the hive to bring up the vibes inside.. so I can hear them.

The good news is, I heard from them all.

Question. Does this cause them to break cluster? It's not that cold, and not windy at all..

Another question.. ;^)

Is it a bad idea to lift up on the hive to check it's weight, this time of year, (kansas)?

I'll be feeding syrup tomarrow anyway but what if it was very very cold? Do we stay away from the hives?

Thank You's in Advance

I do have another question...

There are probably about twenty five dead bees accumulated at the entrance reducer. I'd guess this is over a couple of weeks, or since Micheal B said our last warm weather occured.

Is this about right?

And something else...

Our chickens are still laying as if it were springtime...

Must be the cat food I give em..

I hope this doesn't shorten their lives.

Hefting the hive wont hurt the bees.Bees arent as fragile as many seem to think .I loaded out a hundred this week in 20 degree temps(had to wait for the mud to freeze so I could drive on it)No bees came out while loading or unloading at the other end either.I spot checked a few after unloading(at 2AM) and they were full of bees and looking good.So dont worry about taking a peek now and then.

Daisy,

Lifting (hefting) a hive won't hurt the bees. Dropping or slamming will though! Tapping a few times throughout the winter won't hurt either. But chosse a day when the weather isn't as severe.

Seeing bees out front is a good thing (dead). It is usually BAD when you don't see anything. Unless you see large numbers like hundreds or a inch or 2 caked on the bb's they are likely fine.

i agree with clayton,be careful about jarring them and causing the cluster to fall when its real cold.boardman feeders get cold quickly on the "porch", i usually put an empty deep above my inner cover and stick the boardmans up there.the bees can use it a little bit cooler temps than outside.

Iam new to this forum but not new to beekeeping. I have 28 hives, mostly russians and italians. Ilove to read the posts by michael bush. But i also like everyone's comments. Just wanted to say hello to everyone on this forum. Happy Hollidays to everyone.

I take it Redtractor1 doesn't have a John Deere?

>Iam new to this forum but not new to beekeeping. I have 28 hives, mostly russians and italians. Ilove to read the posts by michael bush.

And I love reading the posts by Dee Lusby and Bwrangler and Barry...

>But i also like everyone's comments. Just wanted to say hello to everyone on this forum.

If you have 28 hives you must have an opinon on things. You should share it.

Hello Daisy
    My chickens laid all through the winter last year, but they stopped laying about 3 weeks ago this year. Maybe they are just getting old. They aint no spring chickens anymore. We feed egg maker crumbles.
    Mike

Greetings Daisy!!!

Poooor chickens . . .
    Do they like to eat cats? And, does that shorten there (cats) lives?

thanx, you have brighten my day!

------------------
    Dave W . . .

A NewBEE with 1 hive.
    First package installed
    April, 2003.

Cool

I'm glad I made you smile Dave.... It's the time of year when folks are stressing. I try to lighten everyone's load...

The information was WONDERFUL as ususal.

Yes RedT, If you have an opinion, this is the place to give it. I'm a beekeeper in training.

Air balance, you must share that recipe. I've never heard of it before.

I am trying not to jar the hives. I haven't hefted it yet. We are having above 50 degrees for this weekend so I'll put on what deepes I have and place the boardmans inside. Thought I'd heat the syrup up just a little for the little darlings.

;0)

Great timely advice on those deeps and feeding inside. I was just about to make the mistake of feeding at the door.

I just love this place.

My grandmothers secret for keeping the hens laying was to increase their internal temp. by feeding them some special cornbread. All you have to do is add ground up red peppers to your cornbread. She used about 1/4 cup of pepper for a large skillet of bread. Another thing that helps is to place a light in the hen house on a timer. The light only has to come on before dark and stay on for about 4 hours. This makes for a spring day.

When I've used a light they've laid all winter. Unfortunately the dust in the hen house did in the timer and I haven't replaced it, so there are no eggs today (or yesterday...).

Red pepper huh? So bake this is a cornbread. Sounds good. I'll treat em..

Thx..

Welcome Redtractor!
    I've heard of Easley but can't remember where it is...I'm originally from Sumter and head down that way every 3-4 months. Heading there this Sunday as a matter of fact.
    Happy New Year!
    Denise

Thanks for all the welcomes. Hope everyone is having a merry christmas and also have a happy new year. I will give my opinion on things as time goes along. I have been reading this forum for along time. Michael has some great advice, and also there are a lot of people on this forum that also has great ideas. i just read all the information that i can. I look forward everyday to reading all the comments on this forum. I make all my equiptment except the racks. they are cheaper to buy than to make. thats enough running off at the mouth for now. Denise Easley is in the upper western corner of the state. Happy hollidays to all on this forum.

[This message has been edited by REDTRACTOR1 (edited December 25, 2003).]

Ahh....thanks Redtractor. Near Walhalla?I used to go camping up in Oconnee. That's where I learned how to trout fish (think like a fish)
    D.

Yes just prepare the cornbread like you would normally then add the pepper. Since you are using dried pepper you need to have your mix a little wetter than normal. My grandmother died in 92 and was 78, she did not have electricity for using the lighting. I suggest that if you do add lighting to your hen house that you use a barn fixture that has a jar over the bulb. Nothing worse than waking up and finding a bunch of fried chickens. I learned this the hard way with a home made brooder. Now that compact floros have got fair cheap I would use one of them if it would fit in the fixture(have not tried yet).

Yes and Thanks Hillbillynursery..

We have two heat lamps with the birds. The red ones.... They are not put up in the winter... They get out and get around when it's above freezing... We are getting about six eggs a day.

;0)

Redtractor, my brother lives in Pickens! Right across the street from another beekeeper! He was shocked when I told him it was thanks to the neighbor's bees that his vegetable garden is always such a success. Whenever I visit him I can hardly see the squash blossoms for all the bees. Anyway, small world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast