Thread: Too much space?

2 packages installed 3/27.
    Queens released and accepted 4/3. What a thrill to open the hives and witness this! I found both queens with no trouble.

Question: Last Saturday I made 2 med. supers. After building them I put the frames in and noticed the space from end to end was a little too generous. The frames rest on the rabbits, but only by a 1/4" or so. I discovered the problem was that I built the supers out of 3/4" boards. I measured my existing store-bought hives and built the supers to the same outside dimensions. (20" X 16-1/4") When it was too late I discovered that these exist. hives were constructed of 7/8" boards, resulting in my new supers having an extra 1/4" space inside, both ways.
    My question is: Will this extra space pose a problem for me, with the bees building burr/brace comb in this extra space? I can add 1/4" plywood to one side and correct the mistake, but is it worth the trouble?
    Thanks in advance for your insights.

>(20" X 16-1/4") When it was too late I discovered that these exist. hives were constructed of 7/8" boards, resulting in my new supers having an extra 1/4" space inside, both ways.

If it's 20" then it's only 1/8" longer than a standard Langstroth hive. That's only 1/16" on each end.

>My question is: Will this extra space pose a problem for me, with the bees building burr/brace comb in this extra space? I can add 1/4" plywood to one side and correct the mistake, but is it worth the trouble?
    Thanks in advance for your insights.

I wouldn't bother. It will make a little more space from the end bars to the sides. Standard is 3/8" and you will be slightly over (1/16" over). If they get crowded enough to burr that in, they are probably going to swarm. The more you get over 3/8" the more likely they will burr it up. The less you are over it the less likely they will burr it up. I wouldn't sweat it. Worst case is a bit of burr comb. So what?