Question

I Have been seeing some feral bees on the goldenrod around here,(first bees i have seen on my place in about 10 years) i was told buy a retired beekeeper to find the hive put a pan of honey in the field and see where the bees were going after they got there share of honey, then when cant follow no more move the pan where last seen bees and so on, until you find the hive , is there another way to track these bees back to there hive? the reason i know there feral is because no one around here for miles has bees.

Ok heres the way Ive done it, but don't tell anybody cuz its a secret.Yeah the old guy is right 1st you need to get the bees feeding off of honey or sugar water.From a pan or sprinkle some on a plant they are visiting.Then wait until you have a good strong beeline and mark the direction they are heading.....Then move several yards (like about 50-100) kind of in a sideways direction from where the bees are headed.What you want to do is trianglulate where the hive is.Kind of like making an ...A...with the point being where the hive is and the 2 legs being where you started the beelines.You can also mark a bee and time how long it takes to make a round trip and use that to guess how far the hive is ..Ive never done that but some people do, I just notice how fast the beeline builds up to tell me if the hive is close or far.Ok, at your new location you may need to attact the bees so burn some honey and comb to get some scent that will draw the bees to your new location and get a beeline started.By forming a triangle from your 2 beeline locations you should be able to get close to where the hive is.After that just start over with the burnt honey scent to get a beeline going and repeat the process until you locate the hive.

An old native trick is to take a small down feather and glue it to the bee and it will fly much slower and you can track it much more easily.

Heres a link with a lot of info:
    http://www.beesource.com/pov/wenner/bsjun1992.htm

From my experience it's usually easier to find bees getting water because these are very loyal to a particular spot. Then use your scented bait to get them recruited to forage and then get them to recruit some foragers. Also, you can find the smae kind of bees up and down the same creek so you can often find two to triangulate. If you time the both to be assured that they are from the same hive etc. and especially if you can get a topographical map of the area...

Quite a bit has been posted on Beelining in the past. Search for it and I'll bet you'll find a lot of interesting information.