I have a hive stand and a screened bottom board I just installed. The base of the hive is two cinder blocks set securely in the ground and a piece of flagstone across them to provide a larger flat area. This was perfect with my older bottom board, but I now have noticed that since the flagstone is not perfectly square, or as large as the hive stand, that air can get under the stand in both front and back. This gives greater ventalation, perhaps too much.

WOuld you guys recommend I close off the bottmom of the stand with plywood or something, maybe in the fall this is a good idea. The screened bottom is designed to have a small opening in the back (a 1/2 inch or so) but this set up currently has a few square inches of pass through airflow and I am wondering if this will be a problem now in the summer, or in the future colder months.

It would be easy enough to cut plywood that I can rest ont he flagstone under the stand that would close it off and limit the airflow to the designed opening.
    ...Things that make you go HMMmmm ....

My SBBs are completely open underneath. It hasn't been a problem summer or winter here, but you are much colder than we are.

I cut a couple scraps, but was only able to use the front one as that is a full width opening. I used the scrap to mostly close this up thinking that it will minimize the "newness" to the bees, blocking light ad drafts from the bottom for the most part. The opening in the back is just a small corner because of the shape of the flagstone, that I left. It is on the shady side.
    I do not want the bees to regard the hive as unsafe or inferior so I will leave the wood in at least for a while. In the winter I may figure a way to close it offwhile still allowing good curculation. I do not want a draft in the winter I imagine, just the elimination of damp spots.
    ...Things that make you go HMMmmm ....

Aloha HRM
    I wouldn't worry about too much ventilation,heat raises. If there is too much wind & shade you might have chill your brood .
    Mahalo
    thebeeman

My SBB are also open all year. I use wooden inserts in the fall/winter. They seem to work well in upstate NY. Much less clustering at the hive entrance.

I don't know where you got your sbbs, but I built mine from plans on this site. They have grooves (for 1/8 in. masonite) running along beneath the screen.......Ron

Mine all have trays which I leave in when the nights are still frosty and leave out the rest of the year.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF