Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Sugar Syrup

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Hi
Bees arriving either today or tomorrow. Will be feeding them with a boardman feeder at a 1 to 1 ratio. Does it mean one quart of water to one quart of syrup or one pound of sugar to one pound of water? going to put one teaspoon of "honey B Healty" in syrup, has anyone used this product before? Reply greatly appreaciated ASAP. Thanks
Walt

#2 ·
>Will be feeding them with a boardman feeder at a 1 to 1 ratio.

I'm not a big fan of boardman feeders, but I do use them occasionally. Since this is your first hive there probably won't be a lot of robbers close by to discover it, so it will probably work well. The problems with them are, robbers can get to them easier, they often spill on the front of the hive and etice robbers, they don't hold enough syrup, they are difficult to refill since they are on the front (gaurd bees) and since there are always some bees left trying to drink the last of the syrup which you have to brush or shake off before you can refill.

>Does it mean one quart of water to one quart of syrup or one pound of sugar to one pound of water?

Either will work fine, but the books I've read say it is by volume, so that's one quart of water to one quart of syrup. It's not that critical, it's just a general formula. The bees will use it regardless.

>going to put one teaspoon of "honey B Healty" in syrup, has anyone used this product before?

This is the first year I've dealt with it. The bees love it.

#3 ·
Walt:glad to hear that your getting your bees,on the sugar I've heard it's by weight or vol,this spring I've watched my bee's,I've always mix mine 7lb sugar to 1gal water,well I got 500 lb of sugar in 4 lb bag's, I started 8 hives on foundation 4 I measured 7 lb to a gallon 4 I used 1,4 lb bag to a gallon, & they both are drawing the same amount of wax,so I don't see it having to be that extact,as far as the honey b I've never used it before,maybe someone else has can help on that,hope you all the best with your bee's & know you will enjoy. mark

#4 ·
I don't think you guys meant a quart of water to a quart of SYRUP. I hope you meant to say SUGAR.
I have a large # (20) new hives to feed this year. How do you guys do it? The feeders, I have, but I'm about to go downstairs and start mixing the **** stuff. Last year I use some 2 1/2 gal containers saved when the laundry detergent was used up. 1 will just fill one feeder. I used a 5 gal bucket and a drill with a paddle in it that was made to stir drywall compound. I need something bigger with a faucet on it to draw off the syrup. Any ideas?

Dickm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.