Thread: winter feed

I read a book that says honey bees will sometimes visit fallen fruit in the fall when there are very little flowers to go to.
    Now, I am wondering if it would be OK if I made a gallon batch of 1:1 sugar syrup then added a gallon of pure apple juice with no additives, I was thinking this would give the bees some nutrition. Would the apple juice hurt the bees in any way?
    I already know it is better to feed honey and I probably feed honey to my bees, but I might not have enough.

Joseph

I have wondered the same thing, but considered adding 1:1 apple juice and sugar (no water). I don't see that there would be a problem unless the apple juice ferments. Hopefully, a bee expert or someone else with more experience than me will have the answer. Thanks for posting a question that I have pondered myself.

Thumbs down

I don't think that adding anything to the solution would bye you anything. I'd be concerned that the wastes generated from processing the apple juice would cause more harm than good.

Dave

[This message has been edited by The Honey House (edited August 01, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by The Honey House (edited August 01, 2002).]

I have a pear tree next to the hives and the bees suck up all of the juice they can from the fallen fruit.

It's too expensive to buy juice. Just feed them honey, or if you don't have any, sugar syrup. My honey is free (to me) and the best food there is for bees.

Fruit juice tends to be relatively low in sugar, so you'd have to add a fair bit to make a usable syrup. Another thing to consider is the non-sugar content; if it contains anything non-digestible that is likely to cause dysentery if it's used for winter feed.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK