Thread: Honey

Hybrid View

As you may have read, this is only my fourth week at keeping bees, but I was wondering how much honey I can expect to get from two hives after the first building season. I got into beekeeping so we could do bee venom therapy on my wife (she has MS), so the honey would be an added bonus. So my question is how do you sell your honey (to who and for how much).

Thanks for any responses.

Pancho

Funny you posted just before my post. I guess you could say from my first year, a hive could produce somewhere between zero and one hundred pounds. We got zero from one hive, 100 pounds from the other. However, last year was a wet winter and a great year for wildflowers here in the central Texas hill country. I don't expect as big a crop this year.

I don't know much about selling it, but you'd be amazed how much your friends will enjoy it. You'd also be amazed at how much you can use yourself if you start thinking honey instead of sugar when you cook and bake.

Doug

Hi,

how much honey I can expect to get from two hives after the first building season

reply:

A good average may be around 50 - 60 pounds. Once you get alot of experience it may be 75- 100 pounds depending on the season. But there really are many factors at play.

So my question is how do you sell your honey (to who and for how much).

reply:

Sell to friends, relatives, anyone who will buy. I sell at craft fairs (not flea markets as these people are usually looking for deals) I do the local apple fest. You can sell at fairs too. You need a variety of products, you can sell liquid honey in several sizes, creamed honey, comb honey, chunk honey, honey sticks, candles, soap, lip balm, ect. Oh don't forget road stands!
    Also make a honey for sale sign for the house. As for the price thats up to you. I wouldn't dare to tell another beekeeper that.
    Look in the bee journals as they have a section that tells prices retail/ wholesale every month to get a feel. Don't sell yourself to cheap.

Clay

Hey Pancho,
    Good questions. This is my first year too. I am amazed everytime I look into my hives! Please keep us all posted on how the apitherapy is going. My brother-in-law also has ms and might want to try it. Hope it works for your wife.
    Sparrow