I was given a couple hives that died out last year. The guy that had them had sealed up tight with caulking, and they where full of water. Needless to say, they didn't make it.

I pulled out about 3 gallons of honey that I plan on useing for feed. How would be the best way to feed this? I was thinking of cutting it 50/50 with water, and feeding in a hivetop feeder once I get a swarm in about a month. Any Ideas?

Sparky

------------------

I feed honey all the time. I never dilute it unless it's gotten too thick to manage. Then I only dilute it back to about what honey usually is. A hive top feeder that only lets the bees into a beespace with a nice hardware cloth ladder works well. I wouldn't use one that allows the bees to have access to the whole open space of honey. Even if it was just syrup, too many fall in and drown. Any kind of pail, or other feeder works fine. I haven't tried it, but there is a description of using a ziplock baggie for a feeder. http://www.beesource.com/eob/baggie.htm

i have fed honey in a boardman feeder placed inside an empty super above the inner cover,i wouldn't put the boardman outside or you may promote robbing.