Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Just Bought a New Bee Suit.. any Suggestions?

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Hello all! I just got dad a new bee suit...well... ok...it is actually for me but he can wear it too....if he ever wants to keep bees

I bought a Brazilian Bee Suit (half suit) from Glory Bee. They clam it is the most stingless suit available and that it was made specificly for Brazilian Beekeepers who work with Africanized bees. I bought it because it looks to me a lot cooler in temprature then the coveralls and zip vail I have know.

The only problem is is that even though it is elastic bottom, I could see bees sneaking up past it.

any thoughts or ideas or any "hell, take it back because it is a peice of junk" comments?

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't own a bee suit of my own, but I will
stick my pant legs into my socks and stick
my shirt into my pants to prevent such
scenarios when the bees get overly defensive.
That, and a veil, and I'm set.

Is the jacket long enough to be stuck into
the top of your pants? Is it perhaps a
size or two too large, and that is why
the elastic is loose? Honestly, Glory Bee
tries to carry "top grade" stuff, and would
not want you to be unhappy.

Since Beemaninsa mentioned "leg bands",
if one feels a bee climbing up their leg,
don't panic. Just jump straight up in the
air, coming down hard on both feet. The
bee will likely lose its purchase, and will
drop out of your pant leg. You may need to
do this more than once, depending upon how
hairy your legs are. Take a step or two
away from the hive when doing this, as it
would not be good to come down and kick
the hive, now would it?

#5 ·
I'm not clear, is it a jacket or a coverall? If it's a jacket with elastic and the elastic isn't loose, they don't climb up. If it's a coverall and the elastic is tight they won't crawl up. Of course I'm wearing boots.
But rubber bands around the ankles or tucking them in your socks should handle it.

If you have an hot hive with thousands of bees trying to get in and you take several hours working the hive (like a cutout in a tree or a house and you're having problems) SOME will get in no matter what. But under normal conditions even with a hot hive, they won't be crawling past the elastic if it's snug at all.

#7 ·
I assumed it was a full suit since you mentioned AHB's, now I re-read your post I see that it is a half suit. If its a half suit, I personally would not work AHB's in it. I like jackets and use one often. My jacket has no elastic. A white cloth belt on the outside works well for me. If I have to deal with an AHB hive I use a full suit, leg bands, gloves, AND tuck my pants in my boots.

#8 ·
> people watch me wondering what the same heck
> is the beekeeper jumoing up and down for.

They have been wondering for years why you
are doing something so strange as to keep
boxes full of thousands of stinging insects,
so there is little additional confusion that
would be created if you jumped up and down
now and again.

#10 ·
I wear my hiking boots with the thick hiking socks over the top of my pants.

Bees up your legs and stinging aren't much fun. I got a dozen on one leg last year. I wish I would have known to jump up and down. I did stomp hard like a horse does when it has a bug on its leg.

Talk about one sexy lookin' leg!whoo whoo! :rolleyes:

Martha

#11 ·
The only time I have had bees crawl into anything was when screening nucs for transport and I leaned over the top where several dozen were agitated and three crawled up the front of my shirt and under my veil got three stings on the throat right under my chin now that was exciting! I now have a full suit with zippered veil and a jacket with zippered veil. The elastic at the wrist and waist is not tight but is just snug enough to keep the bees out during a normal inspection.

#12 ·
My wife makes my bees coats with an elastic waist. The coat is long enough it goes over my waistline and about halfway down my tuckus. The elastic does not fit too tight and provides plenty of room to move. I have never had a bee crawl up there. If the elastic contacts your body over top of your clothes I think you will be okay. If not, any average seamstress could correct the problem with ease.

The problem areas are those mentioned plus in the veil where I have not zipped it tight or not zipped it at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.