dcromwel Guest

Sad

My local provider of package bees just called about a further delay in the arrival of his truck of package bees from Georgia. They were supposed to arrive on 4/17 but were postpone to 4/24 "due to bad weather." The phone message I just received indicated a further delay to May 5th. Is anyone else having such problems getting their new package bees?

Sadly,

David in Baltimore

David:

My next georgia packages are to be picked up GA May 3, delivered ohio may 4.

I got my first packages on April 9th, was supposed to be April 1.

my supplier goes down there with a semi truck and brings them back, drives straight back. those are the only days i think he goes down, sounds similar to your dates, who is the supplier down there?

david

I also have 2 packages from Georgia that have yet to arrive. Has anybody heard anything about delays at Wilbanks? I didnt order them directly from them. Kind of want to know of its a problem with the bees their or from my orderer. Thanks

BILLY BOB Guest

I'm not a supplier, but I do live in Georgia. I think the delays are from 2 things;

1. The weather this spring has not been very cooperaitive. We have had a lack in rain, which has slowed the spring flow.

2. From what I hear, last summer and winter was not a good time for the honey bees. I think the southeast was hit real hard, especially in the mountains. With the demands in the south that had to be met first, the domino effect started and you guys across the rest of the country are feeling what we did 2 months ago.

BB

I picked up from Shumans last Wed the 17th. and was on schedule. Nice place, and nice people.

I pick-up 200 packages from Hardemans this Friday, and all is on schedule.

I know Wilbanks had a problem with the first couple grafts and the queens were something like 10%. I think it just set them back from the start. Not the only one who had this problem, but will not mention them by name.

dcromwel Guest

Interesting. From calling around to other local bee suppliers this evening, I was told that my supplier's source is actually Hardemans. Might actually jibe with what my supplier was told .... that one of the reasons for this second delay was "too many orders to fill." Bjornbee, you must be a higher priority customer than my local guy here in Baltimore. Whatever the case, the outfit in Georgia promised more than they could deliver. But, hey, I can be philosophical about this; keeping bees is like farming. Lots of unpredictable variables. I'm lucky my income doesn't depend on it.

Thanks,

David in Baltimore

dcromwel Guest

Interesting. From calling around to other local bee suppliers this evening, I was told that my supplier's source is actually Hardemans. Might actually jibe with what my supplier was told .... that one of the reasons for this second delay was "too many orders to fill." Bjornbee, you must be a higher priority customer than my local guy here in Baltimore. Whatever the case, the outfit in Georgia promised more than they could deliver. But, hey, I can be philosophical about this; keeping bees is like farming. Lots of unpredictable variables. I'm lucky my income doesn't depend on it.

Thanks,

David in Baltimore

I ordered from Wilbanks and got my shipment 2 weeks early.

As long as we are name dropping, my supplier's supplier is Spell Bee in Baxley. very happy with them so far.

dcromwel Guest

Just confirmed this morning that Hardemans is the outfit. It's worth pointing out here that I don't hold any malice towards my local supplier or towards Hardemans. This stuff if unavoidably speculative. Farming. But it's interesting to get a little window into their world and learn how they manage a poor spring as they've had. Obviously, some customers have to come first and some last. I hitched my wagon to one that was last in line.