Question

Around the middle of July we will be moving to a new house.The distance from where the hives are currently located is approx.2.5 miles.My concern is that the bees will be within foraging range and may want to return to imprinted landmarks.Should i move them temporarily to a more distant location,and then move them to the new residense,or just not concern myself with it?Thanks in advance.

Move straight to the new location and put a branch in front of the hive before you open it up. The branch will cause them to reorient before taking off. They won't get far, even if they ignore the branch, before they will sense they are not in the usualy place.

Big Grin

I didn't relocate myself, but I did relocate a hive of bees this spring by using Mike's suggested method. It works great. Here is my write-up on the subject; Moving Hives the Michael Bush way, it's just a few posting below this one in the BeeKeeping 101 forum.

But 2.5 miles is far enough that almost none of them will go back to the old location. Still the branch wakes them up that something has changed.

Big Grin

Thank you very much for the suggestion-vey simple solution and they are usually the best.