Greetings all,
    Today I saw my first virgin queen. Head and thorax looked just like any other queen. Abdomen was half as big as a queen, I'd say one and a half times bigger than a worker. Boy was she spooky! She was in a hive that had laying workers, (previous episode) made their own queen after shakeout and egging, developed chalkbrood, killed their queen and made queencell, new queencell larva died of chalkbrood, hive got invaded by wax moths , I gave them eggs, they made a queen. Hope she breeds and makes a good queen! What a long strange trip it's been!

Sounds like a virgin. They are very hard to find even in my little two medium frame mating nucs.

Great Andy sounds like your troublesome hive will be better now.i have a hive like that too there are eggs now but still waiting to see if they are all drones.been trying to get them to requeen all summer so far.i still do not see my queen tho.

>Great Andy sounds like your troublesome hive will be better now.i have a hive like that too there are eggs now but still waiting to see if they are all drones.

Are they single eggs? If so, then I doubt it's a laying worker.

If there are a FEW doubles I still wouldn't worry too much. If you have three or four eggs and especially if those are on the sides, then I would assume a laying worker.

I have read some of the posts about laying worker hivws befor.All the eggs are on the bottom of the cells.There are some that have multiple eggs but not many.The parth that bothers me is not finding the queen.It is a small hive but she could be sneaky too.I have put fresh eggs in this hive 3 times now.The last 2 times i took the queen off the frasme i used so i knew i had the best eggs i could.I am noit sure it has been long enough for thye last queen to mate and come back.was only 4 days from when i thought the queen should have emerged.
    Thanks Bob