Question

I am new in the Bee world.I have always wanted to try some hives but never have.I live in southeast Georgia and I am planning to purchase my equipment around December or the first of January.I have cleared out a wooded area about 200 yards from my home. I left a tree barrier and cut a small road into where I am going to have my hives located. The wooded area was mostly oak, but I cleared about a 50x50 yard square out. I plan to start with 2 or 4 hives just to get the hang of it before investing like I really want to(or make sure I enjoy it as much as I think I will). Do I need to plant anything around my hive area. I have a Euclyptics tree and a Japanese loquat already
    in the area but would I need any other kinds of plants that would help.

Check with local bee keepers to find out what Georgia bees like. It also will depend on your suroundings. Bees will travel great distances for food.

------------------
    Tim Gifford

I am in Marietta, GA and have 6 hive this year. I keep my bees in a subdivision and do not have any special trees around my house. In the area we have farms and i gess bees flying there. This year was extremly good I extracted 3 times and got over 15 buckets of honey total.

hope this helps,
    Andrey.

BILLY BOB Guest

Cool

GeorgiaB,

I'm from Monroe Ga! I would think that planting trees/flowers for your bees to work would take a lot more than what you want to spend money on. It's cheaper to take your bees to the type of nectar/pollen you want.

Billy Bob

Smile

I generally just keep the bees in mind when choosing landscaping plants for around the house and yard.It wouldn"t cost effective to plant a "crop"just for thr bees.They need alot of nectar and pollen and they can go a long way to get it.I try to plant things that bloom during nectar and pollen derths,early spring,mid summer ,late fall etc.I keep five hives in a cental alabama orchard. good luck,JOHN

------------------
    jlk

Hi!

There is a bee supplier in Moultrie GA that should be able to give you some good advice. It's Rossman Apiaries. You can find them at www.gabees.com.

Good luck!

Stan Tytko