Thread: Nucs

Question

I was wondering when a good time is to start a nuc colony. I know it will be a different month in different locations, but relative to spring blooming, when should a nuc colony be started? If you get a cold snap during the start up, will it hurt them?

Thanks,
    Oscar

------------------

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Oscar,
    Are you looking to purchase a nuc and start a new colony? If, so any of the suppliers should be able to give you an idea when they supply nucs to your area.
    As for cold weather and a nuc, when first installed you will most likey be feeding the bees anyway, and that will get them through till good weather returns.
    Where do you live?
    Good Luck

It also depends on how you're starting this. Is this from a package, a shaken swarm etc. If I had a strong enough colony and was doing a shaken swarm I could get by as early as April here. Earlier maybe, but it would be riskier.

Hi Oscar,

What state are you in? What is the purpose for the nucs you wish to make up? Mating nucs? Increase? Wintering Nucs? For spring nucs I like to make them up around last week of april/ first week of may. This is subject to fluctuate depending on the season (year). As for a cold snap it shouldn't hurt the bees if they have honey in the nuc. Problems can arise if you are using cells and bad weather sets in and the virgins can't mate. But often things are fine. What size nucs are you trying to make up?

Clay

Sorry about the delay, I've been away from my office.

I live in SW Oklahoma, and I wanted to have a nuc colony made so that I can extract some bees out of my brothers house this year. I can't cut into the house, so I would have to use the screen funnel method to get them out. I have a really strong hive that I thought I would pull some frames out and get them to make a new queen to start the new colony.

Thanks for the replies.

------------------

btt