Thread: a few questions

dcromwel Guest

Can I place an undrawn medium honey super between the brood chamber (robustly busy) and the food chamber (~70% capped honey)? I was hoping to get the medium sized super frames drawn out in preparation for next year's nectar flow since I got a late start this year as a new bee keeper. Was planning on feeding syrup for the comb drawing. The medium sized honey super has been on top of the food chamber for 5-6 weeks with minimal comb buildup. I have standard sized brood and food chambers. Michael, I know your thoughts on using all medium sized chambers and the efficiencies of interchangeability.

Also, what's the rule on how many pounds of capped honey a colony will usually need to be well prepared for winter (70?), and how do you convert the number of fully capped regular sized framed to pounds of honey?

Thanks guys and gals.

David in Baltimore

I would place the medium super on top of the honey stores they already have. If they need the super they will start drawing it out. If they don't need it, then they will waste resources that might be better used for over wintering. If they haven't done anything with the medium super or have only partially drawn it out I would remove it before you settle the bees down for winter. In the spring, since they are now established, they should draw out that medium as fast as they can fill it. Generally they don't/won't build comb unless they need it. Since your hive doesn't have to "start from scratch" you are already ahead of the game by having a hive that survived winter.

You can put it either place. It might make a difference and it might not. As long as you're not splitting the brood chamber I wouldn't sweat it.

dcromwel Guest

thanks.....how many pounds of honey are contained in a full capped regular sized box? And how much is the minimum you would suggest for wintering?

Thanks,

David from Baltimore

>how many pounds of honey are contained in a full capped regular sized box?

It depends on how many frames you put in the box, how deep they drawn them, how dry the honey is etc. etc. etc.

A deep (9 5/8") full of honey is usually about 80 pounds. A Medium (6 5/8") full of honey is about 50 pounds. A shallow (5 11/16") full of honey is about 40 pounds. What is a regular sized box? My regular sized boxes are mediums.

dcromwel Guest

OK, Michael, don't get snooty.

Scot, do you think there's any risk of putting the super below the food chamber, or is it just that you believe it won't be effective?

Thanks,

David from Baltimore

>OK, Michael, don't get snooty.

I'm sorry if I sounded snooty. I certainly didn't intend to be. I just needed to clarify in order to answer the question.