I picked up one of these pocket hats on Friday. Although its a mosquito net, it looks to me like it would be a good emergency (or at least portable) beekkeepers hat/veil.
    http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...urrency=2&SID=

I haven't tried it yet (harvesting is pretty daunting as it it is ...) at C $12, it seems like a good emergency 'chute.

I have used mosquito nets for bee veils before. Some work better than others depending on the color (so you can see through them) and how well they seal around your sholders etc. This looks nice, and would be nice for you, but it says "This product is not available for shipment to the US."

Oooops.

Yet another reason to move to Canada!

Its probably because these nets are sold exclusively by somebody else into the US.

The net is a darker scree. Doesn't seem to hurt visibility, I guess I'll know once I've tried it.

I was thinking it was because it uses some top secret technology that the Canadians were protecting. But you're probably right.

Folks, I'm a custom seamstress. If I can come up with a design that would work for us beekeepers, would you's buy from me?

I've designed one in my mind but haven't sewn a prototype yet.

I'll have some extra time on my hands soon, maybe come up with something before next season kicks in.....

Hey I'm always interested, but I'm not a very experienced beekeeper.

Based on what I've see of this item, the only potential drawback is the net (its darkish and beekeeper nets are usually yellow) and the color of the hat (grey vs white).

Its a lot more portable than my 'official' set up with the white hard hat, etc.

I'd buy a beeize one, if the price was right.

If you contact me directly with the details, I could pick one up and mail it to you, if you want.

Just don't tell the government people!

Actually, I think most bee veils are black...at least the part you look through. I would guess that a ligher color would scatter light too much and make it very hard to see through.