When adding a third deep, can it go in the middle of the other two deeps?

Is there brood in both boxes? I prefer not to split the actual brood nest. If there is nothing but honey in the top one and brood in the bottom one, I would put it in the middle. What are you hoping they will do with it? Expand the brood nest? Make more stores for winter? If there is brood in both and you want to open up a brood nest, I'd probably put it on the bottom. If there is brood in both and you just want more stores, put it on the top. All in all, the bees will probably rearrange it to suit their ideas anyway.

Dang! I did it wrong. I split the brood nest.

Better go back out there and put it on the top.........

Thanks friend.

Hey Micheal, I'm beginning to wonder if my bees have already inbred with the black bees around here.

This third different looking bee has started showing up in large numbers, and it's shaped like the black bees, backend forms a more prominent point like the black bee. Less hair on the thorax area, slimmer, mostly black with two wide orange strips around the body close to where the body sections connect.

I have no queen program, I pretty much let them do it their own way. I see these bees going into one of my hives. They aren't the bees I started with, that's for sure.

Is it possible that I may have a different strain caused by these black bees now?

Please remember unless its an artificially inseminated queen, the queen you have may have mated with 5-15 different drones. (Numbers may be off.) But...this means she has semen from different drones who may have different characteristics. All bees in the same hive are not the same.
    I have seen cycles of brood that has been different and I know they are from the queen.

Yes, your queen has probably cross bred with the local drones. Probably this will turn out to be a good thing as long as they aren't mean. As Bjorn says, they mate with several drones and they may not be (and probably are not) all the same genetics. Also, I've had the local feral bees drift into some of my hives. I know I had a Russian queen and some buckfast bees in my observation hive last fall and saw several that had drifted in.

>Dang! I did it wrong. I split the brood nest.
    >Better go back out there and put it on the top.........

If it's a good strong hive, it probably won't affect things much, except sometimes with a deep in the middle they raise a queen in the half of the broodnest that doesn't have one. In the spring, I would consider this a good thing. A two queen hive is very productive and in the fall they will probably dispose of the older one.

In a weaker hive you have to consider how difficult it is to maintain the temperature and humidity for the brood nest over that large of an area.

If it was me, I'd probably leave it now that it's done and see what happens. But then you're the one who acually fans robbers away from the entrance, so maybe you need to take care of the little things.

BILLY BOB Guest

Another thing to remember about queens breeding with other stock. The seamen from the drones "stacks" in the queens sprmithaca (spelled that one wrong) so as the queens lay eggs you should find your hive mostly italians, then it may go to a darker bee then back. You should also see a few blacks with the others and vice versa.

BB