Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

feeding

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Ian 
#1 ·
What are the advantages or disadvantages of using sugar syrup versus using honey for spring feeding? Should the noey be diluted?

#2 ·
There are lots of opinions. And some of this will be my opinion, but first let's look at honey and sugar syrup.

Honey is mostly fructose and glucose and is quite low in moisture compared to sugar syrup or nectar.

Sugar syrup is mostly sucrose and higher moisture than honey.

Nectar is mostly sucrose and higher moisture than honey.

When bees eat nectar they produce enzymes to change the sucrose to glucose and fructose. When bees eat sugar syrup they do the same. When they eat honey they don’t have to make these changes.

So if you want to stimulate them to raise brood by simulating a nectar flow, you feed them watered down sugar syrup. If you want to feed them, then it depends on your point of view. Mine is that in the fall I don’t want to cause them to raise brood, and the best feed is what Mother Nature provides: honey.

There are three reasons to feed bees.

In the fall because you took too much of their honey and they don't have enough stores. For this I feed honey, not diluted, because it's what bees go through the winter with and it won't confuse them and make then think there is a nectar flow.

In the spring because they are starving because you took too much of their honey and they didn’t have enough stores and there is no nectar flow. Again, I think honey would be best. I still wouldn't dilute it. If you dilute it it will ferment and you'll have mead instead.

In the spring to stimulate brood rearing. I feed a little of the more watered down sugar syrup. 1:1 is one part (by volume) sugar to one part water. So if you take a quart of sugar and add a quart of hot water you have one to one. Don’t feed them a lot. The object is not to provide food for them, but simply to stimulate brood rearing. If you give them too much they will clog the brood nest with honey and the queen will have no where to lay.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited March 02, 2003).]

#4 ·
I doubt that it's very critical what the actual ratio is, but the more watery syrup is more similar to nectar.

I always understood 1:1 or 2:1 to be by volume. It's true a pint of water weighs a pound, but then you're doing your proportion by weight instead of volume. The bees, of course, don't care one bit.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited March 03, 2003).]

#6 ·
Bill, is hte American Bee Journal available on line? Also, the reason I'd like to feed honey to the bees is that I left a quart or so in an open bucket in the basement, and later found a mouse happily swimming in honey. Since it's unfit for human consumption, I thought the bees might like it. (I put the mouse outside, and don't know whether she happily licked herself clean, or whether a crow, perhaps, had a tasty snack.)

#9 ·
I emergency feed with left over/spilled honey. It is probably the easiest quickest way to get feed into a hive and it makes use of spilt honey. Consider the possibility of spreading disease. AFB spores lay dormant in honey. Be sure to use your own honey, and only if you know you don't have an outbreak of AFB. A quick and easy way to spread disease throughout your operation.
Ian

#11 ·
Time for feeding has come so i like to ask you about soy flour you are using. Do you mix soy flour as it is or you reduce the protein percentage to 23% wich as they say is the best for feeding? I'm asking that because the kind of flour i found on super markets doesn't mention anything about protein percentage.
Thanks mike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.