I have 4 hives. Two are going like gangbusters and the other two ...well have had some issues and are still working on their 1st deep. I have had a notion to feed them sugar syrup but am worried that the strong hives may rob them out and thus ruin the honey crop with sugar water.

Is my logic correct or am I being paranoid?
    Bryn<br />bryn@ald.net<br /><br />\"I want to be oncommon\" -Pip, Great Expectations

I'd just reduce the entrances on the hives you are feeding and be careful not to spill any outside the hive. Feed over the inner cover with an empty hive body around it and the cover on it. With a reduced entrance your smaller hives should be able to defend against the intruders.

If there is a nectar flow on you shouldn't have too many robbing issues. It can get to be a real problem in a dearth though so keep your eye on them.

Dan

Dan
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Feeding them will help, only if they are lacking stores. Otherwise your wasting your time and money. If they are close to filling one chamber, they will have the man power to bring in their needs anyhow.

If there are a few frames of brood and bees, they should be big enough to defend themselves, for the robbing pressure should be next to nill with a flow. Robbing will not be an issue. Bees gernerally prefer fresh nectar over surip and honey, during a good flow.

Now when your flow ends, you will have a problem. So reduce your enterences, or shake out your hives and take your losses now
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Boils down to numbers, and your struggling two don't have them. Like Williamson and Ian said, feeding is a good idea, but requeening sounds like it may be on the agenda as well?

J

No need to feed during a nectar flow. You don't say what the problems are but none would be helped by feeding. If they need nectar, they can go get it. Is there somehitng defferent about the two trouble hives? Like Plastic comb or something?

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Robert,

The one is a swarm that i picked up and just doesn't seem to be that strong.

The other was from package bees, but they have been going through supercedure (queen cells on the top, not the bottom) for some reason and thus haven't put much work into hive development.
    Bryn<br />bryn@ald.net<br /><br />\"I want to be oncommon\" -Pip, Great Expectations

feeding is a good idea, if you're going in and out of a flow, close the entrence a little

make sure the queen is doing her job, check out for any other issues like afb, efb, mites, whatever.

toss an extra deep ontop if need be

but feed if everything else is looking good, can't hurt and lets them have something to do while the sun don't shine [img]smile.gif[/img]
    \"You\'ve got to stop beating up your women because you can\'t find a job, because you didn\'t want to get an education and now you\'re (earning) minimum wage.\"<br /><br />-Bill Cosby

If there is a flow why feed? If there is not a flow, of course it's a good idea. But feeding is more likely to set off robbing than not feeding and if there is a flow they will have less problems if you don't bring the robbers and the ants to their hive.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF