Thread: need more input

Question

I have a hive that I started from a 3 lbs. package that was doing so well that I stopped feeding and started putting supers on. not so much for honey but for room and to have them draw foundation. well they have drawed almost 3 supers but when I put the FGMO cord on I noticed the hive bodies were very light. I believe that there is not much for them to work. So my ? is if I pull the supers off and start to feed them should I set the super out in the yard for them to rob out what little honey they have store in them.and then bring them in at night to keep the moths out or just leave them on and feed in the open. sorry for such a long post. thanks

Yes, pull the empties and feed,

I feed for four months, a very newly establishing hive. But not everyone does this.

If they have to make a home from scratch, they have need for lots of feed and little disturbance as possible. Depending on where folks live, and other things to consider...etc

This is why it's good to get info from local beekeepers for area specifics etc.

What are you intentions for the supers? If you want honey you need to harvest it. If you want to feed it to them anyway, why make them work so hard? Just leave it for them for stores.

>What are you intentions for the supers?
    they don't have much in them and what is there is not capped.and I didn't know if I feed them, they would put the sugar syrupy in them.some say we should get a fall flow and that they may be OK and that i could get a super of honey off the hive. but I think the bees would be better off if i feed them and go for the honey next year as I will have draw ed foundation for the supers

I haven't taken a colonies first year honey. This area doesn't seem to be so abundant that bees can get that much excess together for winter. They expend all thier first seasons work getting ready and it's all the can do to be ready for the first winter.

But in some areas of the country this isn't the case. This is why I said to know from locals if the first year is best if left alone.

If you want them to prepare for winter with a two deep hive, then take off the super which forces them to prepare the second deep only.

Or take away the empty deep, and plan on letting them keep the super on for the winter.

I kept my bees in one deep for almost two months. Then I added the second deep. By fall, maybe they'd be ready to use the medium or super. But if you use deeps, then don't add a deep and super if you want them to winter in two deeps.

Am I making any sense?

Hmmm, talking about a brand new colony here folks.

Daisy
    I started them in April with 5 drawn frames from my neighbor and fed them till they filled the 2nd deep then i was able to steal some frame(4)of brood for other 2 hive that were started about a month and 1/2 later(have 2nd deep on both of those hive& am still feeding) then put on 1 super when they drew that out went 2nd then 3rd and they are still drawing but are starting to put nectar in a couple of frame but the deeps are very light on stored honey lots of brood & pollen.I just don't want them to starve. because my neighbor hives are empty and his bees winter over and had all drawn frames