Thread: Foundation...

I dont hear much about people using the Duragilt foundation - just wondering why? That is what i started out using 3 years ago & i really like it. No wires, imbedder, eyelets, etc
    Deanna

Deanna:
    My one and only experience with plastic foundation was not all that encouraging. The bees rejected it--obviously I did not know how to use it.

On the positive side for wax foundation, the wires, 4 across and ten down, provide absolute support for the comb. I intend to use comb for many years, so I do not want it sagging, bowing in the extractor or stretching in the heat. Such frames are a pain to wire and embed, but the finished product is well accepted and good for many years use if the beekeeper does not skimp on nails and glue when putting the frames together.

That said, I am trying permacomb, which cannot sag, bow or succumb to wax moths.
    Ox

Once the wax peels off on duraguilt it becomes junk as bees won't draw off the plastic base.

Can't you dip the duraguilt in wax and re-press it?

My first hive in 1985/6 had duraguilt in the brood chamber. I am not sure I like it much except it did ensure nice flat combs. These days I am thinking foundatoin as a whole is over-rated unless you have a specific purpose for the foundatoin such as regressing large cell to small cell. Even then I am wont to do it, and am going to help my bees keep them selves regressed by juduciously culling combs in the early spring.

I used DuraComb a lot for a lot of years. It's the same as DuraGilt but cheaper and without the metal ends. Clay has hit on the main disadvatage, but I liked it. Saves wiring and the bees accept it better than the solid plastic foundations.

Since I'm only buying small cell it doesn't work for me now.

>Can't you dip the duraguilt in wax and re-press it?

It wouldnt be worth it for me even if you could, any way it only costs me around .85 cents each
    thanks for all the input
    Deanna