one of my 2 sets of splits from 2 weeks ago swarmed today.

The good part is -I managed to get it into a box and dumped them into a hive with 3 frames of drawn foundation. All appears to be go - they look to be settling in - keeping my fingers crossed. They were in a cedar tree about 10 ft off the ground. I did put on a hood and veil just in case but was dressing in only tshirt and no gloves.

I was wondering if it would be better to just keep the 5'th hive or wait a bit and try to recombine.

Also, with all the extra space I gave them when doing the split I was surprised they swarmed so soon. Hope others don't.

Lightbulb

You can stop them leaving again by putting a frame of uncapped brood in there. They're not nearly as likely to leave when they have brood to tend to. If you don't have a frame of brood to give them, at least slap some feed on them (that may help them stay in place but no guarantee).

You can also put an excluder on the bottom board in "includer" position so the queen can't leave. You can remove it after they have some open brood.

Sad

Put the queen excluder (includer) on last night. They are feeding ok today and things look good.

However, I had another swarm today from my splits. These are 40 ft up a very large oak tree. I had two swarms use the same limb two years ago and I lost both of those. I will see tomorrow if my other bait boxes will help. my wife vetoed the idea of chain sawing the tree.

Have you thought of getting a taller ladder and rubbing the spots up there with some clorox or lysol?

Also maybe put some swarm lure down in a low spot on the tree. Or make some queen juice (drop all your old, unwanted, culled virgins etc. into a jar of alcohol) and put it on a CONVENIENT limb? Or a piece of Bee Boost and a swarm lure stapled down low? Or some bait boxes in that tree?

They tend to use the same spots once they leave their smell there.

Had not thought of putting the lure in the tree itself. I will try that. I may also try placing a bait box on the side of the tree - make something like a tree stand that the deer hunters use.

If they are still there later this afternoon I may try using boards to build a ladder onto side of tree and go up and cut the limb.

Thanks for the idea!

Evidently they did not like my bait boxes. They left sometime this afternoon. I had seen scout bees checking out the bait boxes all morning. Guess I need a new real estate agent.

I did place a lure on a lower branch but idea of cleaning the old spot will not work - if I could get up there I would have put them into boxes. The place they are settling on is 40 ft off the ground and at the end of a long limb so it is not accessable from the main tree trunk area.

It is always depressing when the swarms just fly away - even if I already have all the hives I need.

Try using Lenom grass oil in your swarm box.

------------------
    'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03