Thread: used equipment

Read all the posts about used equipment but my question is, I know these hives have been stored for more than 2 years. Not enclosed as a hive but stacked each parts placed together. How long would bees have to be out of the equipment before its safe to use again?

Hi there. If I am correct AFB spores can live forever bees or no bees. Someone correct me if I am wrong! What type of equipment is it that you are talking about. Is it empty boxes or are there frames of comb involved?

>Read all the posts about used equipment but my question is, I know these hives have been stored for more than 2 years. Not enclosed as a hive but stacked each parts placed together. How long would bees have to be out of the equipment before its safe to use again?

My guess is you missed something when you were reading. AFB spores live forever. No amount of time will get rid of the spores.

Scorching the boxes will kill a lot of them on the boxes. Some people boil the frames and the boxes in lye water (sounds dangerous) and the lye will remove the wax and lot of the propolis which may have spores in it but will not kill the spores.

Some states provide iradiation to kill the spores. Some provide a chemical treatment that kills the spores but it requires a large tank and very expensive equipment so it's not practical to buy.

If the bees didn't die of AFB then the equipment is probably safe as soon as the old bees are gone.

Thanks for your information.
    I don't know how or why the guy got rid of the bees. It is just the boxes.
    Getting new bees this weekend sure don't want to get problems. But the boxes are so nice it seemed a waste to buy new.

I wasn't trying to talk you out of buying used equipment. I buy used all the time and use them. I do try to assess whether I think the person I'm buying from knows what killed the bees and if I think they are being honest. I also don't buy them unless they are awfully cheap, but I buy used equipment and have never had a problem. You have to decide if you think you are a good judge of people and if you want to take the risks.

But I'd be lying to you if I said that AFB spores will go away in a few years of storage.