I've not heard anyone mention the use of Plasticell but many have mentioned Rite cell. Is there a difference between the two? Or are they the same made by different companies? Darrell

Cool

Darrell, They are the same thing only different manufacturers. Plastic foundation with beeswax placed over the pattern. I use this and it works well especially when extracting honey. Steve

Steve, thanks for your answer. I assumed that was the way it is. I'm going to try some this year. thanks again Darrell

Oh, one more thing. Will it work with 9 frames instead of 10 frames. Will the bees fill out the plastic cells like they do on regular foundation? Darrell

9 or 10 frames is irrelevant to the kind of foundation. It will work fine with 8 9 or 10, but I never go less than 10 until it's been drawn once. After it's been drawn and extracted once then I space it in the supers at 9 frames or 8 frames. If it's not drawn out yet, the bees may make one really thick and another really thin no matter what but ar more likely when it's spaced wider. See the POV or news stuff or other entries on Housel positionting also. Since they often seem to mess up the plastic a bit more than the straight beeswax I'd make sure I either use the Housel positioning or make sure they are all aligned the same way.

Housel positioning is very difficult to understand, with undrawn ritecell. The couple sheets that I had left had no Y's or I's and I did not see what was being discussed. I do now, since I got 4.9 foundation. It is very evident now. But do not get excited if the Y's and I's do not appear on the plastic stuff.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

The simplest positioning of foundation is just make sure you put all of the frames with the foundation the same direction out of the box. In other words, if you pull it out of the box, put it in the frame and put the frame in the box, do it the same way every time and they will all face the same way.

I use rite cell. You are right, the Ys are difficult to see, but not impossible: try tilting the frame as if you were looking for eggs

Michael, In postioning the foundation, isn't the foundation on one side of the center comb one way and on the other side of the comb it is reversed. Should we be observant of this when putting in new foundation. Darrell

Housel positioning is facing out from center, yes. I was just trying to deal with them not wanting to draw some combs and just facing them all the same way seems to help with this. I would prefer the Housel myself.

Thanks I appreciate your wisdom. Darrell