Thread: Pincher bugs

Im not sure what every else calls them but weve always called them pincher bugs.

I bought a bunch of used stuff thats been sitting outside for a couple of years.

Alot of it was infected with these pincher bugs. Ive got it all cleaned up but is there any other threats to a hive when I finally start to use them??

Oragonsparkie:
    I think the bug you are seeing are called Earwigs. There size is 3/4-1 inch in length, black with what it looks like pincers on there rear end. They realy like compost material. I find them sometimes in large amounts nesting between the end cleats and under hive top overhang (western hive), sometime found inside weak hive in supers. I know no other problem that they ceate.
    Walt

kookaburra Guest

Earwigs

Everywhere
    Annoying
    Really hate them
    Will eat plants
    In Everything
    Gross
    Smell bad

As with everything they serve their purpose. They process a lot of decaying plant matter.

That being said, they don't bother the bees, but there are usually a lot of them on the inner covers, anywhere there is a crack. And they leave behind all their "dirt", so they can be messy.

They will eat certain plants and flower blossoms. If you were to leave comb on the ground each of the cells on the bottom would be filled with them.

If they bother you, then you need to apply some kind of ground poison, grubex or something everyonce in a while. They will crawl up the siding into the house, in the basement, into tent poles, anywhere there is an 1/16 inch crack.

Boy, this year I really deetest them. Folding chairs, test poles, laundry,shed...anything in the yard for more than 1 day needs to be shaken out really really well. Even with the poison barrier around the house they still get in.

-rick

They really like to eat the dalhias...