Thread: Two questions

This is my first year with two established hives having brought last years packages through the winter successfully. Can someone estimate when the nectar flow is here in Middle Tennessee.

I am getting 4 more nucs this weekend. Can I expect any honey from them or should I just be content on getting them up and running in two deeps.

[This message has been edited by twlankford (edited April 07, 2004).]

Cool

I would imagine the flow in your area would be starting about now....the first thing to look for is Dandelions.....I guess it really depends if you live in valley area or mountains....BUT if the nucs are in very strong and healthy condition when you get them you very well may have a harvest....my first nucs gave me almost thirty-five pounds each...good luck and have fun...Steve

In a good year a nuc can make quite a bit of honey. You have a month head start on a package.

I was in a similar situation last spring and one of the Bee Club members suggested taking some of the drawn comb from the hives that survived and adding it to the nucs. The nucs took off and I did get a honey crop. The wintered hives were given foundation and they pulled that out very fast.

A nuc should be full of drawn comb with two or three frames of brood and two frames of honey/pollen, when you get it.

Cool

I agree, I added the drawn comb when I moved them from the nuc box to a deep. I should have mentioned that before.

ic. Sorry, I misunderstood. Drawn comb is always a head start.