Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There are plans right on this site. From a start-up cost standpoint, take a look at the top bar hive. I don't have one but I can't wait to build one.
    -Brian

http://www.beesource.com/plans/10frlang.pdf

If you go with a Langstroth hive, I'd do all mediums. It will simplify your life and be easier on your back.

http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

I have pictures of me building a KTBH and some pictures of a long Langstroth medium with top bars in it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

can someone explain to me what a top bar hive is and what is diff about those from langstroth hives?
    the one and only josh

Hi all

this seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle so I'll try again.

Just curious; I see Carniolans mentioned & NWC (New World Carniolans)also. Are these the same? If not what is the difference? I know the nwc is what Sue Cobey works with but little more (other than hearing high recommendations).

Lew

Lew,

I'm new at this, but from everything I've read the NWC are a selection by Sue Cobey. She as been selecting for years for carniolan like behavior in her bees. I don't think she claims they are carniolans. I'm not sure if she even cares what kind of bee they are. She is going for results.

Now, everyone and their brother/sister can correct me!

Pugs

Texas is almost all AHB territory. Now where do those Buckfast come from? Do they come from Buckfast Abbey in Devon, England? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Ic; Thanks Pugs!

Lew

>Just curious; I see Carniolans mentioned & NWC (New World Carniolans)also. Are these the same? If not what is the difference? I know the nwc is what Sue Cobey works with but little more (other than hearing high recommendations).

Have you been to the web site?

http://www174.pair.com/birdland/Breeding/
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Thanx Bill

Great; answers lots of questions!

Lew

so maybe you had a cross or something.
    My queens came directly from a well known breeder in Texas. Peggjam when was the last time you recevied queens from a Texas breeder?
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Considering that all of my Buckfasts came from R. Weaver in Texas, and I have not had any problems with hot hives, maybe YOU recieved a cross. Or maybe mine have not gone postal yet. But if I remember MB's statement about his Buckfast's correctly, he didn't have a problem with them either until he crossed them with feral swarms. All I am saying is I have not had any problems with my Buckfast hives. It's not really that big of a deal to get upset about. Everybody has different oppinions on what an aggressive bee is, I used to work some of the native bees my greatgrand mother had, and they were VERY hot. My Buckfasts so far have been calmer to work with than my Italians. If they get too hot I'll requeen them, but by it's self, I do not choose to requeen a hive just because it is hot. There also needs to be other factors present such as poor laying ability, or poor honey production for me to requeen. As long as beekeepers continue to buy queens from AHB infested areas there will always be a chance of getting AHB genitics, wether it be Buckfast, Italians or whatever. Just my thoughts.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

>But if I remember MB's statement about his Buckfast's correctly, he didn't have a problem with them either until he crossed them with feral swarms. All I am saying is I have not had any problems with my Buckfast hives.

I didn't cross them with anything. They swarmed (all four Buckfast hives I had at the time) in the middle of a drought (which I've never seen before) and all four hives went postal immedeatly afterwards, simultaneously.

But until then I had never had any hot Buckfasts.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

They probably DID cross with the local bees, but they did so without my intent and under suspicious circumstances.

The site below will give you all the info you need on the NWC program. Sounds fascinating but the prices are out of my league.

http://www174.pair.com/birdland/Breeding/NWC.html

>can someone explain to me what a top bar hive is and what is diff about those from langstroth hives?

http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/main.htm

Where are some good sources for Carniolans?

hi michael, I prefer italian queens. i'm from the tropics (philippines) and got a new italian queen from australia. They gathered honey well during the season but then they never sealed it up. I guesse the honey were ripe enough because they dont drip when I shake the combs. I got one brood chamber & suppered with with 10-frames in them. all standard langstroth hive.enough bees covers the top bar of the supper when i opened it. flowers here from tress dont blossom at the same time... any advise how i can make my gurls seal up the honey they've collected???? thanks for any advice....

They gathered honey well during the season but then they never sealed it up.
    They won't cap it until it is cured down to 18% moisture content. There may not have been enough moisture for it to be shaken out of the comb, but the bees knew there was still too much moisture for it to be fully cured.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12