Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool

i am new to the bee keeping hobby i have most of the stuff now and i was wondering what the best type of bee would be for a beginner i live in michigan so the weather here is so-so any info will help a lot thanks much
    the one and only josh

Get any bee you can. You won't regret it. If you don't like something about them you can just requeen. This is only my first year so I am only familiar with two strains but believe me- you won't care what kind of bees you have at first.

Brian

Are your winters long or cold? Carniolans are good for long winters because they conserve food stores. Russians are supposed to be frugal also. I 've been keeping carnis and I'm very pleased with them so far. But like Count Zero said you will have alot of fun with any bee.

APK
    Andrew<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.cgi</a>

I agree with APK and Carnolian is what I have started out with.

So far very gentle......

I'd say Michigan is a good place for Carnolian.

For the beginners who are somewhat scared of bees I like the Carnolian. I had one Carni hive last year and now have 4 Carni hives with 6 Carnolian queens due in this week for splits. They are extremely gentle to work even when the hives get big.
    Most of my experience has been with Italians and I like them but I'm sold on the Carnolian.

Dan
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

hey guys thanks for the quick reply's i am also looking for people to hang with to learn more about them............. also our winters are always long and cold so i need somethign that is hearty so i think i will try the carni now my other question is does anyone know where i can get these bee's? i have looked all over and no one has them anymore should i wait for next year to get bee's? or what
    the one and only josh

I wouldn't wait, but at the same time don't set your heart on anyone breed. You need to get your feet wet and Italians are as good as any. I am currently running Italians and Buckfasts. I have found the Buckfasts to bee a very gentle bee, with good honey production. Although the queens can be a bit bullheaded about things. (See asconding in beekeeping 101). You need to buy at least two swarms, and if I were you I would try to locate nucs as they are easier to get started than packages, and are about equal in price. You need two swarms so you can compare and contrast the quailites of each, it will also give you an idea that somethings wrong if one isn't doing as well as the other. You could buy one nuc of each strain you are interested in, and might beable to find a local beekeeper that would sell you a nuc. If you can't find any PM me and we'll figure something out. Good luck.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

I have found the Buckfasts to bee a very gentle bee, with good honey production.
    The Buckfast do produce well, but I strongly disagree with them being gentle. I would advise any new beekeeper to stay clear of them and this is especially true if they are going to be in your backyard. They are the most aggressive commercial bee I have worked with.

I do like the Carnolian and they tend to swarm. Swarming can be good or bad depending upon the time of year and your views.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Carniolians or Italians, the biggest thing is what is available and what is least expensive. Especially for the first year. Try to find a couple nucs, definitly get at least two to start with.

Sad

I bought some NUCS once from B&B and I got a load of chalkbrood that I never got rid of. I had new equipment and no disease. The NUCS changed all of that the chalkbrood was outrageous.

I've stuck with packages ever since.

I love the Carnis, very good bee, gentle and overwinter very well. I like Italians, too. Your preference.

Ron
    Butterchurn<br /><br />Diplomacy is the art of saying \'Nice doggie\' until you can find a rock. <br /><br />Will Rogers

No better time than today!

I'd suggest of course either an Italian or a Carniolan.

Proven breeds!
    \"You\'ve got to stop beating up your women because you can\'t find a job, because you didn\'t want to get an education and now you\'re (earning) minimum wage.\"<br /><br />-Bill Cosby

I also wouldn't usually suggest nucs for a beginner, but packages are probably done now 'till next year. Chalkbrood can usually be taken care of, but other diseases can also be an issue with nucs. I would not put them in a yard with my other hives until I knew they were clean.

Does anyone know who ships packages of NWC to the CT? I have found people who ship queens but not packages. Sorry for the hyjack.

Just curious; I see Carniolans mentioned & NWC (New World Carniolans)also. Are these the same? If not what is the difference? I know the nwc is what Sue Cobey works with but little more (other than hearing high recommendations).

Lew

Magnet-man:

I have not had that kind of experiance with my Buckfast bees. They have been the gentlest bees I have ever worked with. I have both Italians and Buckfasts and the Italians are far more aggresive than my Buckfasts. I bought from two different sources, so maybe you had a cross or something.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

I also agree with Peggjam, absolutely start with at least two colonies. I started with two on the advice of me bee club but four would have been much smarter. If you can get two swarms you might be able to split them this year.

Brian

Here in Central Maine where the weather can be ah... lousy and the winters ah.... long, the most prevalent bees by far are Carniolan though I've met one person so far with Buckfast bees and they're happy. The Carniolans are definitely more winter-hardy from everything I've heard about them. The main complaint, if you have to complain about something, is their tendancy to swarm. However, I see swarming as an opportunity to make increase, a reason to celebrate, not a reason to complain about lost honey surplus. I'm still pretty new at this, but my attitude is more bees mean more fun.

As for the number of hives to start with, definitely try to get at least 2 going, more if you can swing it.. you need something to compare against. I for one planned to start out with 3 and built a platform in anticipation, capable of holding 5 hives. Sure enough, soon the starting number soon became 5 (nature abhors a vacuum and partially filled hive platforms). I've got 3 hives so far, and will be picking up 3 more NUCs the end of this week... 3 more? Hum... that's 6! Guess I need another hive platform... better build it bigger this time...

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

&gt;The Buckfast do produce well, but I strongly disagree with them being gentle. I would advise any new beekeeper to stay clear of them and this is especially true if they are going to be in your backyard. They are the most aggressive commercial bee I have worked with.

Well from 1974 to 2001 I thought Buckfasts were the most gentle and productive bees I'd ever worked with. But that all changed in 2001. I haven't dared to try any again since.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Start with two hives of any type you can get, (nucs or swarms or full hives), order two NWC queens, and stay the **** away from Buckfasts.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

lol thanks guys this is great does anyone have plans on how to build a hive? or should it just be from a store because of the money reason but thanks guys for everything this has been great i hope to hear more from people
    the one and only josh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast