Thread: feeding

Question

It is now july and I have stopped feeding sugar syrup two weeks ago when I added a second deep. Would I have been wiser to continue feeding until all the frames in the upper deep were drawn out or is this o.k.p.s. I baited up two frames and sprayed the upper foundations with a 1:1 sugar syrup

If it's a new package I try to feed until they don't take it any more or until the first super goes on, after all the brood chambers are pretty much drawn and partially filled.

But it's up to you. The bees will probably do ok if you don't, they will just do better if you do.

I also had a similar question with this topic. I was feeding this hive "heavily" and they consumed for a 2 brood box set up. After check'n on the brood boxes (with approx. 8-9 frames full) I set up my first super the first week of June. The honey flow in my area kicked off around the 2nd week of June (mega sourwood). After observing weeks later, hardly no activity in the super and no drawn comb. I put a top feeder on earlier this week to "amp" up the girls to at least draw some comb (using RiteCell foundation) and they piled in and consumed a gallon within a day. Also noticed that they started to draw comb in my super.
    .... is this unorthidox to feed 'em with a super on? I know that I can't "consume" the sugar syrup that I'm feed'n 'em but I expected them to be alittle more motivated than this past month. Just concerned that maybe they didn't accept the waxed RiteCell.

Regards,
    Greysmoke

Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)

Hi Greysmoke,

how i syour nectar flow this year, is it a good one ? Because it may influence the amount of wax that the bees will secrete to draw comb. They need about 10 pounds of nectar/syrup to produce a pound of wax. That may explain why the bees began to build more after you put your feeder on.

Hugo

I sometimes feed some to get them to draw the comb, but when they start storing it in the supers you need to quit unless you want to let them draw it, cap it, you extract the syrup and feed it back again. Too much work!

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited July 03, 2003).]

abeille...
    I would only assume that with the sourwood blooming around my area that it would be pretty decent (note: this is my first year dealing with this and I don't have any other year to compare too). I reckon that I would have to ask my neighbors on the board from the N Ga area on their past experience with the sourwood flow. I will say that we had an incredible rainfall situation that I would assume would be counterproductive to the girls.
    Michael...
    Thanx for your reply. Almost like an expecting mother and wanting her to do some "jumping Jacks" to make things happen!!!