Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    this is wandering into an area of beekeeping where i can attest to my own peculiar madness.last fall i went at a huge hollow hackberry after a tornado had exposed the gum,great fun! i'd pay to do it .i am currently turning several beautiful big hollows into top bar hives for packages next month....alleyooper,i would suggest that you 1)smoke the tree very well before cut it,2)cut the tree so it can be stood upright in original orientation,cut it level so it can stand on it's own and cut the soon to be top flat so hive bodies can be placed ontop of them,3) find a nice place in the back of your garden to put your new sculpture,let the bees live in their gum,place an empty hive body with frames above it and they may eventually move up and/or store honey 4)if the queen moves up and lays in the box,pull a frame with new eggs and start a new hive from those babies.

I am sure that I will be educated on this, BUT, isn't keeping bees in gums illegal?
    Bill

he wouldn't be keeping them,they are free to leave whenever they like.

Exclamation

> Posting pictures here is about as easy as any place.

> Wow! I have no idea how to post pictures. You should share how you do that!

Hi Al and Michael and all -

A word of caution here. I have left on the option to post images to the Bulletin Board from the beginning, as it has proven not to be a problem. However, it won't take much for it to become a problem. Embedded images in the forums slow down the loading time to open each thread/forum. An image here or there to enable further clarification should be fine, but any more than that, I prefer to have the images sent to me for posting on a web page. I strive to keep things streamline as much as possible so those who have limited time to access the BB are able to do so without getting bogged down waiting for images to load. I appreciate everyone's consideration in this area.

Regards,
    Barry

Sad

Sorry about posting the pictures. I've removed them.
    One Question? Why can't I delete my own post?
    Al

The pictures of the combs and the set up of the tree were very helpful. You could just put them in as a link and people can click on them if they want to see them.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited April 02, 2003).]

The old adage is, A picture is worth a thousand words is true. I believe that to be true in most cases with honest people. If I need more additional help and i have some pictures I'll post them but only for a short time. Like maybe 24 hours then remove them so it dosen't up set the apple cart.
    My hives, supers, frames and foundation came yesterday while I wasn't home. Isn't that when they always come? I put every thing together today for one hive and stained the out side of the hive, all the bottom board. Stain is a bit darker than I thought it would be as a light walnut. Price was right at 2.00 a quart for Olimpic stain, dented cans.
    I took a real thin wire and probed through the big knot hole to get an Idea where the comb ended for the cutting and standing the log up. Took the frame all down too, it cooled down a lot while i was back ther and the bees just disappered. So I didn't cut it yet.
    I want to thank every one for the help and incouragement. Now to go read about those black top covers.
    Al

i'd definitely like to see a picture when it's done,and i'd like to see more interesting pics from members,maybe an extension could be added to the alternative hive pics page.thanks