Just how tight are entrance reducers supposed to fit?
    I have to wedge mine into the bottom board and then really wedge them into the entrance.
    Is there some reason they need to fit so snugly or is it ok to whittle them down a bit to move easily?

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

What are you using for an entrance reducer?

The wood of the bottom board and hive body maybe swollen from moisture.

I like them snug because the skunks pull them out all the time. Also, if they are really loose the mice will move them. If they aren't tight I make them tight with shims etc.

Never used them, never will.

If I don't use something to reduce it the mice will eat everything, including the bees.

What if your hives are a foot off the ground.(my 2 hives are on a 2X4 frame I built, sitting on 8" cinder blocks. Would mice still be able to get in?

A foot might slow them down. I've had them get in when they were on 8" blocks though. I haven't had any get in when I had them on a platform 2' off the ground, although I'm sure they could climb up a leg and get ontio it if they wanted to.

I've gone to top entrances because I'm tired of the mice and the skunks.

rocky ridge bees Guest

I used 1/4 in rabbit wire bent at a 45degree angle about 4"x4" Then stapled it to entrance .it will keep mice out and also helps the bee protect the hive. i have had some problems with hornets this year ,but have seen that the bees were killing the hornets as they got stuck in hard ware. cool!

Thanks, all.
    I sanded them down so one end goes in neatly and the other end just barely wedges under the bottom hive body to hold the whole thing snug. It's not a thing of symmetrical beauty, but it works better than before. I mostly want to be able to use the "winter entrance" in spring for installing package bees and I don't fancy having to lift all the boxes to get the reducers out again.
    No problems with mice...yet. I'll definately staple some hardware cloth on later, though.