I need to move some frames from one apiary to another and usually do this with wooden nuc boxes. Driving in the field and off road lanes always causes the frames to really bang against each other. Is there a trick of some sort, like a wooden wedge? or another method that others use so the frames, comb, and bees dont get smashed around?

Moving full hives mean that the frames are normally propolized in place. But pulling frames and using nuc boxes is a little different.

Partly I do this because of the PermaComb because it uses spacers and I don't have any spare ones, so in nucs I put push pins (the kind of thumb tacks that stick up) in for spacing. The up side is even with normal wooden frames (which I often have mixed with PermaComb in a nuc situation like this) it keeps them from sliding around. Just line the frames up where you want them and push the pins in between the frames. I won't eliminate the swinging, but will keep them from sliding.

What if you filled the space with empty frames?

I've seen illustrations somewhere of spacers which will hold the bottoms of the frames in place so they don't swing, but I don't know whether anybody makes them. I use Hoffmans, so I don't normally have problems, but I had to take a couple of nucs on the train a while ago with a few non-Hoffman frames, which was a worry. They were OK though.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

If I remember right I think in ABJ I saw an ad that has such spacers for pollenators that move bees which go at the bottom of the frames. Not sure if they have ones for nuc though but maybe could be cut down to size for nuc boxes.

Clay

You could make a peice of wood that fits exactly the width of the the nuc which sits on the bottom of the nuc.

then cut out notches in the wood the width of the frames so that the frames then slot in to the notches.

you may need two pieces and maybe one on the top.

Here in Norway we have tin-strips which have stampet out notches the width of the beespace/frame, they are easy to use, and keeps the frames stable through transport. They are thin, so they fit well under the covers of the hivetype we use here, and can be used for years. If you have a local metalshop that does simple metalwork, you may get them to make you some?