Thread: Squirrel

Do squirrels try to enter the hive? Some critter had tried to remove the entrance reducer on one of my hives. Too far off the ground for a skunk.

How high off the ground? I've seen skunks, 'possums, mice and raccons try to get in, but I've never seen a squirrel try. If a mouse can jump high enough to get in they will push it back out when they leave.

The hive is on a platform about five feet off the ground built on the back of the barn.

Wow! I don't know of anything that would bother them there. If the reducer is loose, the bees might push it out.

Chipmunks can sure raise hell and red squirrels will chew through about anything. I've had both go after stored supers before.

I've never had squirrels mess with a hive with bees in it. I've had them steal eggs in my hen house...

>five feet off the ground built on the back of the barn.

I bet it was a coon, they are good climbers.

Hi New,
    Where in KY?
    I bet it was a coon or possum. They are both good climbers. I have heard we do have black bears, but then it seems the whole hive would be disturbed.
    My neighbor across the street swears he saw some bear tracks on his property. I've heard the local wildlife guy--gosh, it's too early and I can't think of the proper title-has spotted a bear in the Stephensburg area. I figured if there were bears here-especially as close as across the street, he would have found my hives by now.
    I think it was the local rotweiller tracks he saw.
    Denise

Thanks for all of the comments! Guess it can be either a red squirrel or a coon as both are frequent visitors where we live.