A freind of mine told me about a local factory that acquried and was selling barrels of corn syrup and sugar by the ton. I checked it out and the barrels of corn syrup were clear but so thick you could hardly push a wooden paddle to the bottom and the sugar was not granular but more of a white powder, like what is used in frosting. I've never used corn syrup or this kind of sugar to feed especially in these quantities (I only have 10 hives).
    I was wondering about the properties (good & bad) using this cheap stuff as feed before I'd team up with some of the other local beekeepers that are allready interested in buying this bulk feed.I couldn't find the label of the detailed contents (trace elements, age, etc)other than the corn syrup & sugar label.

Sounds like the corn syrup will work fine. I've never had any problems with white corn syrup. Some say the stuff in the stores is bad, but I have used it some with no problems, but I usually don't because it's too expensive.

You need to know more about the powder. There is finely ground sugar that would work and then there is the powdered sugar like you buy in the grocery store which has corn starch in it and doesn't work well. The corn starch will give them dysentary. You need to know if it has the corn starch in it.

The corn starch makes the sugar "glaze" well. But it also helps keep the "confectioner's sugar" from turning into concrete. If this powder isn't doing that, then it likely has corn starch in it. Not 100% sure, but pretty.

[This message has been edited by Scot Mc Pherson (edited February 22, 2004).]

Thank you for the info.
    I don't think I'll use either. I would need some sort of industrial size mixer to cut the corn syrup with lots of hot water to get close to the right viscosity.

You'll keep it from spoiling and save the bees a lot of work if you DON'T thin it down. The bees will just have to evaporate it back out.