I had a question if anyone had any ideas on doing more natural beekeeping methods, i.e. organic. I already use the FGMO and I haven't used the terramycin yet since this is my first year with new packages.

Is there any alternatives to using terramycin to prevent AFB? A friend of mine, Grant Gillard has written a book about natural beekeeping, but I haven't gotten a copy of it. Didn't know if anyone else had read his book or had any ideas of their own.

GC

>I had a question if anyone had any ideas on doing more natural beekeeping methods, i.e. organic. I already use the FGMO and I haven't used the terramycin yet since this is my first year with new packages.

I haven't used any for the last 28 years.

>Is there any alternatives to using terramycin to prevent AFB?

There is NOT using terramycin. It will only mask the spores. If you get an outbreak you can burn the infected combs and requeen and try to get stock that is hygenic and doesn't succumb.

Dee Lusby had a bout with it before she regressed and says that going to small cell resolved it. I don't know if it's that or that any stock that wasn't resistant died and the rest had resistance. But she doesn't use any chemicals INCLUDING FGMO, essential oils etc. No treatments of any kind whatsoever.

If you are interested in biological beekeeping without any kind of treatments, it's a yahoo group.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Organicbeekeepers