Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Michael, I should have mentioned that the man I talked, a friend of my dads, was a commercial beekeeper. He's just about out of the bee business now. What he was telling me was from their standpoint. Evidently the bigger outfits around here move their hives at certain times of the year to pollinate crops. I'm not real clear on this but they have to have X number of bees per hive and the big box and a medium satisfy this requirement. My bees are busy drawing out the second deep now so I'm happy I did it that way. You're right, makes things much simpler.

Big Grin

I used (1) deep and (1) medium last winter and it was a very cold, wet, and prolonged winter last year and my bees came through fine. Most of the honey in the medium was not touched.

But on the other hand I agree with M.Bush I have found out this spring that the mixing of brood frames is not pratical. I'm planing to start using long hives like TBH, but if I do purchase any more boxes they will be all mediums for brood and honey supers.

Chris, sounds like you have already made up your mind about your boxes so it seems pointless to throw in my 2 cents worth on that one, but did want to make a comment about what MB posted. My advice is go with the crimped wire over the cut comb. If you are going to be harvesting cc guess you don't have much of a choice in the matter but my Pops used non-wired foundation last summer and what a mess! Gets/got so hot down here in the south that semi-melted the wax and threw all kind of waves and sags before the bees were able to draw it out. The price dif. isn't that significant in my opinion and the money you save will be more than used up in support pins....GOOD LUCK

David

Guys thanks so mmuch for all of your help on this topic and all of the others. This board has been a huge help to me and i owe alot of what i know to you all...thanks so much
    chris

I'm in the Sandhills of NC, most of the beekeepers around here, use 2 hive bodies. One for brood chamber and one for food. It works for us.