Thread: queens-workers

has anyone ever encountered young brood bees killing a new queen ?

and is there any special way to introduce the new queen ?

This is the most accepted way I have heard.
    Make sure the old queen is removed from the hive then put the cage the queen comes in between two frames in the middle of the hive.
    The cage has a candy plug and the bees will eat through it to get the queen out which can take up to about 5 days. Once the bees realize there is no queen they will usually accept the caged queen but they need to be queenless for at least 12 hours before sticking the caged queen in the hive or they may try and kill her in the cage.

Here is a link to two different ways to introduce a queen. http://members.aol.com/queenb95/QnIntroInstr.html

I am in the middle of the "push in" cage method. In a day or so I'll let you know if it worked for me.

Make sure there are no queen cells in the hive too. That will also stop them from accepting your new queen. Time is the most important part. It has to take 5-6 days for the bees to accept thier new queen. Then once they accept her leave them alone for 2-3 weeks so she has her brood nest established. If you have to (new bees usually do) then use very little smoke and look with as little disturbance as possible. Have fun.
    Note the push in cage is the best meathod to use. I use it all the time and have 100% success rate. Place cage over just emerging brood. She starts laying faster and she then becomes the queen, no questions asked plus she already has her court with her. Her phermones are being spred in the hive and all is great.
    Dan

[This message has been edited by bjerm2 (edited August 01, 2004).]