Big Grin

I did it today. I took the cover off that I had put on for the winter and put one on with out holes and is cedar.

I then cut it off about where I thought the end was from my probe some days ago. I was right, sure don't know how that happened. Most of the time Murphy is with me. I then put the hive stand in place on the post and braced it.

Then I placed one empty hive body in place.

All I can fit on this one
    Al

[This message has been edited by alleyyooper (edited April 12, 2003).]

Cool

I then sat the second hive body in place.
    Then I took the two frames I took back there and put some comb in each one. then placed it in the top hive body.

Then I put the intercover on, is there a certin way it should be. then put the outer cover in place.

The girls were cleaning up when I finished.
    Al

[This message has been edited by alleyyooper (edited April 12, 2003).]

Cool

I just did it, I didn't wear any thing other than jeans and a tee shirt (different from a couple day ago). The girls said, Hey the guy is trying to fix things up for us so leave him be. Of course they were crawling around on me while I was working so I didn't make any sudden move and gave them time to move before grabbing some thing. I sure enjoyed watching them for a bit when I finished. they would land on the outer cover roll on their backs and do a summersault on to their feet. Or land there and shake their tails then flip over a couple of times.
    Any way I'll be removing the pictures in a day or so. I also want to thank all of you who gave me advice. It sure helps to have input from different people, makes it easier to use a bit of this and some of that to get things done. so a big THANK YOU EVERY ONE.
    Al

Nice job, Al. A couple of things to think about. I would have cut the hole bigger in the wood cover on top of the log.I used to have a neighbor that had some box hives(no frames). He had a small hole and the bees would come through it. They would only store honey, though. The queen seldom came through. The other point is that it might be better to have the comb right above the hole instead of the top box. Bees are very social. They like to stay connected. They will seldom go through an empty box. However, I wouldn't change anything now. See how the bees respond. You can make ajustments later if needed.

Well these girls are sure getting used to me messing with things. Since I just did the work today I doubt they have become a custom to anything yet. Ill move the frames to the bottom box first thing in the morning be for they warm up. The boxes just set on the hive stand there is no bottom board in place. the first box I though would act like a chimmey drawing them up.
    A question??? we had a really bad Ice storm her and a lot of maple trees lost limbs and tops, the sap is flowing the last couple of warm days. The question is do bees use that sap? I know we have to boil it to get syrup.
    Al

Looks fantastic! Good job!

Bees will use about anything that is sweet, but I don't know about maple sap.

Good job Al! I love it when there's pics. I have a question do you have all the frames w/ foundations in the hive bodies? You might want to do this so when the girls do go up they won't fill with wild comb.

Clay

Clay No I didn't put any frames with foundation in place. That is a question I got confused by the answers, I'm easly comfused. Seemed there was more that said the girls wouldn't work with it untill I installed some drawn comb. I haven't got the drawn comb that Joel is sending yet. I still have to complete the frame assembly for the supers too. But I'll worry about that at a latter date I just want eveyone to move intoo their new home and be happy.
    Al

I wouldn't count of them "moving in". But they will probably use the boxes for supers and you can harvest the honey. If you want them to move in you will have to make them leave their current hive by one of the previously mentioned methods.

great job, looks like great fun!

Cool

I sure am not holding my breath waiting for them to move into the hive bodies. If I did I would be what is called breath less in Michigan. Since it has warmed up and they are bee busy I have been going back there everyday. I watch them and enjoy their antics. I also have been talking to them about moving into the hive bodies. I have explained to them that in the hive bodies They could grow with some dummy cutting their home up. I would even move them closer to the flower beds, give them their own swiming pool so they wouldn't have to share with the puppies when the creek goes dry. I told them I didn't even need the honey, at least this year if theyt didn't want to work all that hard. I know what moving intails.
    Al

[This message has been edited by alleyyooper (edited April 13, 2003).]