Question

is there a minimum space between hives?
    thanks

Nope

No but if you have space I would have them at least 4 feet apart. Mine were 6 feet and had some robbing problems that was easy to stop by reducing the entrance.

I agree but I will expound a bit further. I have put them right next to each other and had no problems, but when a hive was robbing the one next door, I have moved it a couple of feet further away and had the robbing stop. So I'd say it usually doesn't matter at all, but sometimes it helps to put them a little further apart.

Thanks for the input
    am thinking of makeing a wooden stand and putting 3 hives in 16 feet.

They sell clips for mounting commercial hives on pallets, both a half inch spacing and a zero spacing. I have sixteen on a platform, two rows of eight each row, hives seperated by 1/2" each, no problems except harder to take supers on and off with that tight a spacing.

I have two treated 4 by 4s on the ground and I put four hives on 8 foot 4 by 4s. That's one every two feet.

I space mine so I can walk between them! For my convenience, not the bees'!

What about the distance between a established hive last year and a new package installed this year? Next to each other?

Hi JJ

Welcome to B source.

I don't understand the question.......

Sorry, I meant that I have two established hives in two different locations on a acre of ground. I am starting three new hives this year with package bees with Queens. I would like to set these three new hives beside the established hives but do not want to start a problem. How much distance should I leave between them( established hive and new hive) or can I put them side by side? Thanks

It probably won't make any difference if you put them side by side or a half a mile away. But sometimes when they are very close and robbing has broken out, a couple of feet more seems to help. The bees will fly a very long distance to rob a weak hive.

I would put them where it is most convenient for you.

Here's something to think about. I had 5 (of 20) hives go down with AFB. 4 of those were situated in 2 pairs about 1 foot apart. I suspect that drifting may have spread the disease more. Also, when you inspect the bees, by the time you get to the last one, the apiary my be somewhat excited. If I had it to do over I'd isolate my hives more, since I have the room.

dickm

dickm,

I'm curious... how old was the brood comb in the 5 hives with foulbrood (guesstimate)? I'm just wondering if new comb can easily get foulbrood from drifting.

I bought some nucs from a guy who was supposed to be reliable. He ended up selling me a lot of old comb. He claimed he hadn't seen a case of AFB in his yards and that he hadn't used Terra in 3 years.Live and learn. I'm going to packages from now on and am leery about them. I've come to understand that all commercial beekeepers use Terramyacin whether they need it or not, so bought bees will always come from a place where AFB has been hidden by it. It's tough if you're trying to go without chemicals, as I am.

Dickm

>>I've come to understand that all commercial beekeepers use Terramyacin whether they need it or not, so bought bees will always come from a place where AFB has been hidden by it. It's tough if you're trying to go without chemicals, as I am.

Dickm, commercial beekeepers, or most other beekeeper who understands the risks of AFB use Terramyacin in there beekeeping operation for very good reason. They dont just use it wastefully or irrisponsiblely. AFB is an invasive and very distructive brood disease and if you raise bees, you have to consider the fact that AFB or EFB posess a threat to your hives.
    There is the fear of internal breakout, reason enough to medicate. But even a greater fear is out side infection to the brood disease. The spread of the disease from surrounding beeyards is the reason why most commercial operatiors med for the disease.

Ian