Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

WHATS THE BEST WAY TO KILL A HIVE?

11K views 60 replies 32 participants last post by  hummingberd 
#1 ·
Been beekeeping two years, 4 hives, two from packages and two from swarms. The one I got in a swarm trap this year is just too nasty. I can't even walk by the hive on a nice day. They follow me more than 60 feet away and I have to use a hose to chase them away.There is No way I am going to find the queen in that hive. I think they must have some AHB genes. ( AHB has been found in this area.) It's a hobby and I can afford a package of gentle Italians. I don't need the hassle. So how do I get rid of them. I heard that you could use a plastic bag, will that work??

#54 ·
Darn, I so wanted to know if the Dry Ice method worked as planned. Guess I'll just have to wait some more.

More seriously though, Gabe, you live in an area similar to mine. Also with similar weather. It is my observation that from June through Sept the bees are 5x-10x more agressive. Lots O bees, nothing to do. So, I just leave them alone.

I put 3 supers on in Feb and put one or two more on as they start working the top box. Then just leave them and let them work. (Never claimed to be a good beekeeper).

But, Thanks for the update anyway.

#55 ·
>That is something to wonder about. MB, when you say that they may have raised a new queen, do genteics not pass on the trait of being hot? Or would they have been hot because they did not have a queen?

Anytime I have dequeened a hot hive and let them rear their own they were much nicer. Usually I requeen them because I figure there is something to the genetics issue, but there are other issues.

They could also be hot because they did not have a queen.

They could also be hot because the queen they HAD was failing.

#56 ·
Could also be other factors such as a skunk preying on the hive, or really hot weather, or maybe excessive rainy weather. It will be interesting to see if they contiue to be calm, or if they get hot again next year.

#57 ·
gabe sezs:
I guess something else was bothering them when they were so mean.

tecumseh replies:
and to add to the long list of things that may make a hive a bees a bit fiesty.... here at those points in time when the fire ant get active (like just after a good rain) I find the girls to be very defensive.

at least here in texas I find fuzzy observation to be directly on target.

#58 ·
Thanks for the information on the requeening issue and the mood of the hive. I am sure if I keep bees long enough that this issue will come up. Hopefully I can store this in my memory for future use.

I really like this forum thing. The experience and knowledge base is huge, and a great benefit.

#60 ·
GABE-

So glad to hear that things work out with your hive. I don't think you should feel badly about the situation. You were being cautious, which I think is the responsible thing to do! People who keep bees so often forget that not everyone is an aspiring beekeeper, and that bees CAN be dangerous especially for people who know nothing about their behavior! HOpe the hive stays gentle for you!

#61 ·
GABE-

So glad to hear that things work out with your hive. I don't think you should feel badly about the situation. You were being cautious, which I think is the responsible thing to do! People who keep bees so often forget that not everyone is an aspiring beekeeper, and that bees CAN be dangerous especially for people who know nothing about their behavior! Unless you live in the middle of nowhere with absolutly no visitors, it's a good idea to do something about hives that act aggressive. Especially with your location being in the area where AFB have become a problem! Hope the hive stays gentle for you!

-K-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.