Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

wintering hives

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I know it's alittle early to ask this but I just would like to prepare the hives better for next season. I had a Idea that I would build a box out of two inch strofoam and place it over the hive is this a good idea? I read that tar paper is very good , but if I could make something better I will. I have sreen bottom boards should i switch them in the fall? I heard that they put hay around the hives in the old days ? does this help

#2 ·
Some people love wrapping. You could do the hay bales or the styrofoam. I've never done any wrapping. I always figured the bees would get warm and fly when it was too cold to fly. Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't had wintering problems, just mite problems.

I would not change the bottom board, I would just close it in. If there isn't already a way to close the bottom board, I would staple some bailing twine or baling wire or some equivelent in a "Z" fashion on under the screen and cut a piece of cardboard to fit in and cover the hole under the screen.

#3 ·
The severity of the winter in your area should determine whether or not you should wrap. In the midwest(Iowa, Ne, etc, we can get by without wrapping. It is essential to control the load of both of the mites or they will die no matter what you do. We do wrap our hives that are exposed. They will brood up a lot faster in the spring. You definitely need to close up the screen bottem board. They lose way too much heat out of those.

#5 ·
My hives have a ventilated top. http://www.beesource.com/eob/althive/bush/bush3.htm I do think you need some ventilation. It seems like ventilation=drafty but that's not true. ventilation is when there is a slow, but steady replacement of moisture and C02 laden air with fresh air regardless of the wind. Drafty is when the wind is blowing in. I think an open bottom board is drafty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.