Thread: New bees

How do you keep new bees from flying away from a hive?

BILLY BOB Guest

Hey 02,

I'm from Monroe Ga, maybe you can stop by the chat room one night and we can talk. Somebody is generaly there between 9:00pm and 10:00.
    www.bee-l.com/beesourcechat.htm

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Do you mean how do you keep a new introduced package of bees from flying away?

Once a swarm, package, or split of bees have been placed into a hive they will most likely stay. I have only had problems with bees flying away when I didn't get the queen when I got the swarm. Sometimes when a hive of bees in a house or tree have been removed they may leave. I've found if you put some brood from another hive in with them they will stay.

BB

If you are talking about a package they occasionly abscond but not often enough that I worry about it. If you are talking about a hive, they rarely abscond, especially if there is any brood in the hive. If you are worried about it or think the situation might encourage them to abscond, put a queen excluder on the bottom board and make sure there is no upper entrance and the queen can't leave. They will not leave without her.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited March 24, 2004).]