Thread: Feeding bees

This may be a dumb question but here we go.
    Exactly how do I make 1:1 suger syrup? Do u add sugar to 1 part of water till it reaches 2 parts, or add water to 1 part of sugar till it reaches 2 parts ? what I have been doing is filling a jar half way with sugar then fill with water. If I filled it half way with water first then fill to top with suger it wood be stronger sugar syrup.

I use a kitchen cup and mesure one 2 cup sugar 2 cups water and do it until it is full

I put a 2Kg bag of sugar in a gallon bucket and fill it up, or two bags for heavy syrup, which needs hot water. I've no idea whether this is anything like accurate, but it works, and it makes life easy.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Big Grin

The old saying is "A pint is a pound the world around." In other words a pint of water weighs the same as a pound of sugar. Mix a pint of water to a pound of sugar and you have a 1 to 1 ratio.

I got the ratio down but something I just read off site was that you should not boil the mixture, just use as much heat as necessary to have the sugar disolve. To late for me. Why would you not want to boil the mixture?

hi,
    I boil my sugar syrup all the time What i do is boil the water . As soon as it comes to a boil turn stove off and add the sugar. Keep stirring till cystal clear. Cool and give to bees. A commerical beekeeper calls it super saturated .I feed it to my bees this way and their doing great,and don't plan to chance. good luck
    Walt

Exclamation

Be very careful about boiling sugar mixture. It can carmelize and this will make your bees sick. Always turn stove off before adding sugar.

Dave