Thread: bee stings

Does anyone have an idea what to use on bee stings. I would like something to relieve the pain,reduce the swelling and stop the itch.

More bee stings.
    After a while your body becomes de-sensitized to the venom and gives you less and less of a reaction.

In the mean time, you may try Benedryl, to reduce the hystamine reaction. You can find this in liquid or capsule form at most drug stores.

I know vinegar works with mosquito bites, but I never have tried it with bee stings.
    ( I'm a big fan of Apitherapy.)

John Russell

Sorry don't have remedy for you someone else should though. Most people just learn to live with it after day in & out stings you learn to just ignore them.
    AKA BEEMAN800

Make a paste with alka-seltzer and water ... or, as said, just get used to it.

BubbaBob

Tobacco juice, meat tenderizer, baking soda, all work well

Blueing.

If you are under fifty, you probably don't know what this is. Chances are your grandmother would recognize blueing.

It was used in clothes washing to make white fabrics appear to be whiter. Resembling the cube of chalk used on the tips of pool cues, blueing was dipped in the wash water.

It is hard to find, but it works well to soothe the sting and to reduce swelling; at least until you build up your immunity.
    \"Where the bee sucks, there suck I.\" William Shakespeare: The Tempest.<br /><a href=\"http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html</a>

I you have nothing on hand, use this old stand by, I have learned as a Kid from my Dad is, use your saliva a few times, [on any stings]
    Konrad
    Grow shrubs & trees,...it's good for bees!

dynarex makes a little sting and itch swab that has a little glass tude inside and you just pinch it and the glass tube breaks and the benadryl come out through the cotton swab end. you could find these at most pharmacies. I bought these for my wife and kids, I never used nothing for stings when a few stings happen but 1 day I got hit a quiet a few times (yellowjackets) and tried it AND IT WORKS !!!

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/j...rchid=inceptor
    Ted

I normaly don't do anything other than yelp a couple of curses at the dying offender.

The handiest thing I have found is the leaf from a plantain. It is a dry plant, but if you chew it a bit and apply the paste on the spot the sting goes away immediatly.

For store bought products I have found that Cortizone 10 can't be beat especially on chiggars and mosquito bites. Cuts the chiggars healing time from a week plus to just a couple of days.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Prevention. Wear your Personal Protective Equipment. Anyone without a veil should not be allowed within rock throw of a bee hive. If you get stung through the rest it shouldn't be a bad sting. All those folk who say you shouldn't wear gloves, where are they now that you've been stung?

Hawk
    KC0YXI

the pain usually should go away after about 30 seconds...but the itch is what is annoying, although I've finally gotten desensitized where it doesn't itch for too long now.

But my favorite itch remedy...turn on the hot water in the tub, so that you can just barely stand it and run the really hot water over the sting or mosquito bite for 5 to 10 seconds(don't burn yourself), and you won't itch for the remainder of the day...repeat until it goes away. Works like a charm.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

I do wear protective clothing, but been getting it quite often lately (some found the cuffs of my gloves while moving a hive the other nite.) Eight stings that whelped up, one on the neck through my netting. I usually use a baking soda vinegar paste, if I have mutiple stings I will add benedryl.Seem not to be swelling as much as I first was (MY first year.)
    Good Luck!!!
    sc-bee

Get some real beekeeping gloves. The elastic cuffs are up to your biceps and they can't get in. The netting shouldn't touch your neck. Get a better veil.

If you want to keep bees without being stung, it can bee done. Really.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

I hear you Robert-I agree with the veil made out of nylon screen wire, the gloves however were real beekeeping gloves (from kelly). They had just slid down some(in the dark-moving at nite). Not meaning to alarm anyone new. I agree most stings can be avoided. Just relating an experience. I can laugh now, that its all over.

My apologies to the new guys like me!!! Beekeeping so far has been a rewarding experience for my son and I.

Keep smiling !!!
    sc-bee

&gt;&gt;(in the dark-moving at nite).

I think ANY time you are working the bees at night you have a much higher risk of beeing stung. Protective equipment or not. More bees in the hive. Usually you don't have adequate light and are not able to see as well. You may fumble a bit more or bang into something.

I rarely get stung but have from experience been stung much more when working in the dark.

Dan
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

I've always heard the swelling is less with repeated stingings. However, after repeated stinging the past 3 years, I can say that mine is not. Just as bad now as day one. Protection and when they still get you, as they always do on occassion, Benedryl seems to help me. Honestly, the pain isn't bad, it's just the 2 days of swelling that is really bothersome to me. Especially on the face.

Plantian is the best. It grows anywhere in your yard where there is a lot of foot traffic, unless you manage to poison it all.

After that, a crushed aspirin or some tobacco are next best.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF