Thread: getting started

I have finially retired from the military and want to start my own hive. i live in centeral virginia and have access to many peach and apple orchards. could someone please give me a list of things i will need to get me started? i have read many articles, but i am confused about what the best start up method and items would be.

thanks, bill b

Bill -

Consider contacting a local association first and meeting a few beekeepers from your area.
    A list is shown at: http://www.beesource.com/suppliers/a...tion/index.htm
    I would then suggest you go to: http://www.beesource.com/suppliers/index.htm and order several catalogs from suppliers and contact a bee supplier to get your bees on order for the spring. I've used packaged bees from JERRY SHUMANS APIARIES in the past and felt they arrived in good shape and did real good building up the first year.
    It's suggested that one start with a minimum of two hives, not one. This will give you many more options should a problem arise with one of the hives as you have the second one to draw from. If you choose to buy instead of making your own equipment, I'd avoid buying a "beginners kit" that a lot of the suppliers sell. They usually include items that are either lower quality (masonite inner covers) or inappropriate solutions to a need (entrance feeders) that is better met with a different design. I'm not sure one saves any money by going this route.
    Everyone has their favorite foundation to use but you could start out trying several different types so you can find your own favorite (duragilt, crimp-wired, plastic for brood and the same plus cut comb for honey supers depending on how you will be harvesting the honey). You will need an extractor for all except the cut comb.

Again, check with your local beekeepers to get their input also. Another concern you will have is the peach and apple orchards near by. While a great source for the bees, you may also end up with pesticide kill to your bees. Meet and talk with those that own the orchards and let them know that you have bees and see if they follow the label instructions when applying insecticides. Dave Green has a lot of useful information about this on his web site (http://www.Pollinator.com/)

Regards,

Barry

[This message has been edited by Barry (edited 01-31-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bill b:
    I have finially retired from the military and want to start my own hive. i live in centeral virginia and have access to many peach and apple orchards. could someone please give me a list of things i will need to get me started? i have read many articles, but i am confused about what the best start up method and items would be.

thanks, bill b
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill, central Virginia has several beekeeping associations including the Richmond Beekeeping Association which is not too far from Farmville. In fact the group is meeting this Friday at J. Sargent Reynolds Community College. E-mail me if you're interested...