Thread: Ant Problem

I seem to have an ant problem in my nuc. They are very small little black ants. I am not sure what kind of ants they are but when I lifted the nuc extender box (I use an extender box ontop so I can feed the ants with the inverted bucket method) I saw all these ants around the white bucket and on the outside of the inner cover and also on the outter side of the nuc..

I really do not have time to build hive stands and use the can of oil method.

any other methods to use to get rid of the ants? One book recomends dusting with cinnamon.

Any ideas?
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

The ants are not going to eat that much. As long as they are not on the frames and harrasing the bees, they are more of an annoyance to you than the bees.

Do a search on ants, there have been many discussions in the past.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Cinnamon

dickm

Cinnamon??? Placed on your egg nog?? In hot cider??

Please elaborate Dick.

Cinnamon, boric acid, or baking soda will mess up the formic acid trail left by the bees to find their way home. They don't like being confused by no trail to get home so they tend to leave. The boric acid also tends to get on them and kill their brood if they haul it home.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I'm guessing Michael meant the cinnamon, boric acid or baking soda will mess up the formic acid trail left by the ants (and not the bees) to find their way home.

Pugs

The liquid ant poison that goes on little pieces of cardboard is borax in sugar syrup. The concentration is low enough that the ants will carry it home and feed it to everybody, but high enough to be fatal after a while.

Yes, sorry. ANTS not bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hey everybody I'm clicking on search and typing in Ants and getting very little that is relevant. Should I be using a different key word?

thanks
    KYBEE

There are two places to search. Go to the home page and choose search and search from there. Or go to the top of this page and search just the forums. The engines seem to be entirely different and the results for the same search are often dramatically different. I'd try them both.

Thanks Michael. Will do that.